Tiles & Sprites

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Sorry I'm thick but... what does the slider at the bottom of RenderTile do?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi rrTea,

It controls the index property of RenderTile ( which selects the tile that gets rendered from the tileset ). When you move the slider you should see the index change ( and vice versa ).

This principle already exists in ZGameEditor ( as you probably know ).

K
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Oh I see, for some reason it doesn't in my browser.

I assume the RenderTile will mostly be used programatically and not really looked at that much in IDE, but in case something needs to be checked quickly maybe it'd be handier to show the whole tileset in the Preview area instead of showing only the current tile (identical to how it's done in the proposed Tileset component), and have the tile with the current index marked somehow?

Just so to offer the eye a bit of context in case the names of tilesets are kept short ("Cave3" and "Cave4" etc), or in cases where the tileset has a few similar tiles in a row with slight variations it'll be easier to confirm whether the right tile is being referenced etc etc..

This'd be impractical if somebody uses a gigantic tileset and/or a small monitor, but then they'd have te same problem when using the Tileset component anyway.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

My comments:

I didn't realize until now that the specification is interactive :). Kjell, you spend far too much time on html/javascript coding ;)

My first thought was also that RenderSprite and RenderTile have lots in common and could be combined into one. But perhaps it is more intuitive with separate components for tiles.

You mention that sprites and tiles should be rendered in pixel coordinates. Is this because it is meant to be used with a ortho (2d) camera so there can be a 1:1 pixel mapping between original bitmaps and render? And also so that collision tests can be made on integer coordinates? I guess we will need to have a good tile-game example that can be included with ZGE as a template.

Compatibility with a popular existing sprite/tile/font editor would be desirable but I don't have time to try them out and evaluate them. So hopefully this can be made later anyway and that the design we choose will be compatible with their data formats.

Spritesheet/font/tile editors: This is something that can be a hurdle because there are no built-in Delphi components for this so I know it will take me long to implement it. But since you already made editor demo projects (downloadable in the spec), perhaps we could make the editors in ZGE itself? Like we discussed earlier with a built-in sfxr clone. For instance, when a font is selected in ZGE it will find and load a "editors\fonteditor.zgeproj" project (or whatever we chose to name it). This project is run into the preview page and data between the users current project and the editor project will be transferred by ZGE (for instance, font character sizes can be written into an Array in the editor script, then ZGE copy from that array and store it into the users project). Probably some things need to be solved for that to work but the general idea that ZGE editor can be extended with ZGE scripts I think is a good one, because that allows you to contribute with ZGE functionality without having to code in Delphi.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi rrTea,
rrTea wrote:Oh I see, for some reason it doesn't in my browser.
Ah, sorry .. i only tested it in Chrome :wink:
rrTea wrote:I assume the RenderTile will mostly be used programatically and not really looked at that much in IDE, but in case something needs to be checked quickly maybe it'd be handier to show the whole tileset in the Preview area instead of showing only the current tile (identical to how it's done in the proposed Tileset component), and have the tile with the current index marked somehow?
Hmm, i disagree. The preview should only display what a component renders. I think it's important to keep this consistent.

However, i do see your point. Thing is, you've misread something on the Tileset page. It says Editor ( even though you can't edit anything ) instead of Preview ( a tileset cannot be previewed by itself ). But this principle could be applied / extended to RenderTile as well, so that you can check & select a tile using the editor. Here's a ( quick & terrible ) mockup ..

K
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:I didn't realize until now that the specification is interactive :)
Maybe i should have mentioned that yes :P
VilleK wrote:You mention that sprites and tiles should be rendered in pixel coordinates. Is this because it is meant to be used with a ortho (2d) camera so there can be a 1:1 pixel mapping between original bitmaps and render?
I just think this is most intuitive. Several users have had quite some difficulty wrapping their head around the arbitrary sizes used by the RenderText component.
VilleK wrote:Compatibility with a popular existing sprite/tile/font editor would be desirable but I don't have time to try them out and evaluate them.
Yea, desirable .. but definitely not required. Besides, it's usually pretty trivial to put together a quick importer using the File component.
VilleK wrote:Spritesheet/font/tile editors: This is something that can be a hurdle because there are no built-in Delphi components for this so I know it will take me long to implement it. But since you already made editor demo projects (downloadable in the spec), perhaps we could make the editors in ZGE itself?
Yes please. If there was a way to "script" editors for components ( or even entire components themselves ) it would blow the lid off :)
VilleK wrote:Like we discussed earlier with a built-in sfxr clone. For instance, when a font is selected in ZGE it will find and load a "editors\fonteditor.zgeproj" project (or whatever we chose to name it). This project is run into the preview page and data between the users current project and the editor project will be transferred by ZGE
Sounds great. Personally i'd put editors in panel 4 though ..

Might be convenient to have a separate OpenGL context in the first place?
VilleK wrote:Probably some things need to be solved for that to work but the general idea that ZGE editor can be extended with ZGE scripts I think is a good one, because that allows you to contribute with ZGE functionality without having to code in Delphi.
Yea, this would be huge ( it certainly has done wonders for Unity ).

K
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Kjell wrote:However, i do see your point. Thing is, you've misread something on the Tileset page. It says Editor ( even though you can't edit anything ) instead of Preview ( a tileset cannot be previewed by itself ). But this principle could be applied / extended to RenderTile as well, so that you can check & select a tile using the editor. Here's a ( quick & terrible ) mockup ..
Erm I think you misread my post, I was not talking about Tileset component at all, the RenderTile (which I was talking about) has a Preview as I wrote :) Anyway, the mockup does more or less what I had in mind (it shows the tile with the current index when using the RenderTile). Maybe only showing the lower part would be enough, just a thought.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi rrTea,
rrTea wrote:Erm I think you misread my post, I was not talking about Tileset component at all.
No i did not misread your post ..
rrTea wrote:identical to how it's done in the proposed Tileset component
;)
rrTea wrote:Anyway, the mockup does more or less what I had in mind (it shows the tile with the current index when using the RenderTile). Maybe only showing the lower part would be enough, just a thought.
Again, i think it's important to keep things consistent and show what a component does / renders in the preview window. But you don't have to agree of course.

K
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Kjell wrote:Hi rrTea,
rrTea wrote:Erm I think you misread my post, I was not talking about Tileset component at all.
No i did not misread your post ..
rrTea wrote:identical to how it's done in the proposed Tileset component
;)
...which was mentioned as an example of how it's shown on the screen, not in terms of functionality (at least that's how it's meant :) ) It doesn't matter really...
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi everybody,

The latest Beta now includes a SpriteSheet component and accompanying custom editor, and a updated RenderSprite component. Here's a quick explanation of the editor.

I'll be adding more features in the coming weeks .. including

- Automatically generate sprite definitions by analyzing the used Bitmap.
- Auto-fit ( grow / shrink ) a sprite by analyzing the used Bitmap.
- Selection of multiple sprites at the same time.

In case anybody has any comments, questions or suggestions .. let me know :)

K
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Looks really cool, is all I can say now! Might have more comments once I have tested it, though I will have to finish my current game before doing that. ;)
Anyway, it sounds like a great addition, and generating sprite definitions (I guess for collisions?) sounds very useful!
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Looks cool. What format(s) would you like to support for SpriteData?

Idea: if sprites are put to a grid then specification of sprite width and height (and border?) would also help; similarly to font. Or rather TileSet component (which is not available yet) should be used instead?

Remark 1: when creating a new SpriteSheet, it should have a default name; as other components.
Remark 2: It seems that RenderSprite produces too large image.
Remark 3: I have problems with redrawing the sprite sheet editor after some other ZGE dialogs or menus appear on top of it; see the screenshot.
Attachments
screenshot of incorrect redrawing
screenshot of incorrect redrawing
scr.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 14333 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Rado1,
Rado1 wrote:Idea: if sprites are put to a grid then specification of sprite width and height (and border?) would also help; similarly to font. Or rather TileSet component (which is not available yet) should be used instead?
You want to use a TileSet for those kind of situations yes. A SpriteSheet would be a waste ( of data ).
Rado1 wrote:Remark 1: when creating a new SpriteSheet, it should have a default name; as other components.
Remark 2: It seems that RenderSprite produces too large image.
Remark 3: I have problems with redrawing the sprite sheet editor after some other ZGE dialogs or menus appear on top of it; see the screenshot.
1. Agreed.
2. Currently sprites are rendered at their native size. So a sprite of 16x8 pixels ends up being 16x8 units .. which is easiest to work with when setting up a pixel-perfect camera. But perhaps it would be useful to have a UnitSize property on RenderSprite ( so that when you use UnitSize = 8 on a 16x8 sprite it ends up being 2x1 units in size ).
3. Yikes :?

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Kjell has done some amazing work here :).

I agree it would be nice with a fast way to generate sprite regions so an auto analyze feature would be great. Kjell, if this is difficult to do I could make a button for it and implement it on the Delphi side.

We need a demo project that use the new features. Anyone know of some sprite data that can be used freely?

And should we continue with Tiles now?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:I agree it would be nice with a fast way to generate sprite regions so an auto analyze feature would be great. Kjell, if this is difficult to do I could make a button for it and implement it on the Delphi side.
It's already working, i just need to add some fail-safe stuff for the "basket cases".
VilleK wrote:We need a demo project that use the new features. Anyone know of some sprite data that can be used freely?
I'm on it! And i think for demo purposes it's warranted to "borrow" some sprites. In fact, it helps .. your mind fills in the blanks when you see something familiar.
VilleK wrote:And should we continue with Tiles now?
You've got my vote :wink: At least it will take far less time to put together.

K