Android limitations

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Android limitations

Post by VilleK »

Is 132mb the apk-size? Did you check the android log if the error message is the same? You can post the latest apk here if you want.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Here it is. :) The APK is only 6.4 mb, but the uncompressed EXE for the PC version is 132.

I tried to check the Android log, but since my device isn't rooted (I'm looking into it though) I couldn't get it to list anything. I've heard using the official SDK I can display that info anyway, but I don't really have that set up. Will look into that too. :) But if anyone happens to have the time to take a quick look I'd be happy. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see if it runs on other devices.
Attachments
Sweatpants Simon-release.apk
(6.37 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Thanks. It works here on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S7 but of course that is a top-of-the line model with lots of RAM. This game feels much more polished and fun than the last version I played. Great work, really original and wonderfully weird! Btw, I checked your page and also found a final version of Resource Wars, that looks great as well. Please post here when you make releases and updates otherwise we might not notice :).

Since the compression ratio is so high I assume you have lots of high-resolutions bitmaps that can't be converted to Jpg, such as transparent sprites/icons etc?

You should not need to root your phone to see the log, just have turn on development mode. Please note that by default ZGE only shows log messages from the ZGE app itself so if there is an internal log message from the Android system that it runs out of memory trying to load the app then that will not show. When you generate the apk ZGE will create a r.bat file to run the app with logging, if you edit that file and remove " -s "ZgeAndroid"" then all log messages will show instead.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Thanks! Great to know it works on another phone. Guess mine simply are a bit old. :)
This game feels much more polished and fun than the last version I played. Great work, really original and wonderfully weird! Btw, I checked your page and also found a final version of Resource Wars, that looks great as well. Please post here when you make releases and updates otherwise we might not notice
Thanks! :D I have no idea how well the interface works on touch yet though. Many tooltips display on hover and such, so I might have to change that. As soon as I have the Android-version done, we will release the full version for PC too. Please try it as well, I believe it will be an even better experience. ;) As for Resource Wars, I still have a ToDo on my phone that says "Post Resource Wars on ZGE Forum". I keep forgetting about it when I'm here, since it was some time ago since the release. Fun to hear you liked that too. That last release really made loads of changes, so we are actually very satisfied with it now. :)
Since the compression ratio is so high I assume you have lots of high-resolutions bitmaps that can't be converted to Jpg, such as transparent sprites/icons etc?
Exactly, much use of transparency. Though I might actually be able to improve things slighty more: I had forgotten to convert the graphics used on the computer, which actually contains quite a lot of graphics. Might be the thing that tips the scale so it works on my phones as well.
You should not need to root your phone to see the log, just have turn on development mode. Please note that by default ZGE only shows log messages from the ZGE app itself so if there is an internal log message from the Android system that it runs out of memory trying to load the app then that will not show. When you generate the apk ZGE will create a r.bat file to run the app with logging, if you edit that file and remove " -s "ZgeAndroid"" then all log messages will show instead.
Great tip! Will try that next time.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

VilleK wrote:... When you generate the apk ZGE will create a r.bat file to run the app with logging, if you edit that file and remove " -s "ZgeAndroid"" then all log messages will show instead.
Correction: the file is called run.bat, not r.bat.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Awesome! Now it is down to 58 mb, and works on both my phones! :D

It works rather well too, though a few things need tweaking for the touch interface. I'm currently working on that.
The hardest part is the sound effects - for some reason many of them still sound coarse on Android. (And a few are just noise, I guess I have a bitrate that doesn't work well.)

Thanks for all help this far. A final version should not be that far away. Will post here once it's done!