LUA

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

LUA

Post by Kjell »

Hej,

Not sure if this would be any easier then revising the current scripting compiler ( and how much it would increase the size of a ZGE executable ), but what are your thoughts on implementing a existing script language like LUA ( or Squirrel )? There are Delphi bindings publicly available for this you know .. :wink:

Kind Regards,
Kjell
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Good suggestion but... LUA and other free scripting languages such as AngelScript are great, the problem is that they are written i C/C++ which makes them difficult to integrate in ZGE. I do not want the exe-files to be dependent on a separate DLL (which would be the case when using the Delphi-bindings). In order to keep the runtime small (and portable) you need the scripting-engine to be implemented in Delphi/Freepascal also which limits the options available unfortunately.

/Ville
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

In that case, I concur 8)

Kjell
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Ville, you must give this a try!
http://delphi.about.com/od/windowsshell ... 12103c.htm
It's about embedding dll's in a delphi application...
The DLL is extracted "on the fly" and is put in the same path of the exe... I know it's not so much "clean" but... :D well, if we get a DLL embedded, actually I think it's gonna be a BIG step forward for lots of things. Plus, i know how to write (quite) good C code, but I don't know anything about Delphi. By embedding dlls, I could contribute the project far more easily... just for example, I would likke to contribute implementing collision between rotated 3D boxes... but I could try doing it only in C...

Plus, if you are interested, I will keep searching for a little bit more: it should be possible to embed the DLL without the needing of using the "temporary" extraction of the file, using the compiled c files (obj instead of dll) and static linking to them...