Welcome

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by VilleK »

Welcome to the ZGameEditor forum!

The latest version of the program will be found in the "releases"-section.

Post opinions, comments, feedback, features requests or questions in the "General Section".

Thanks!

p.s. because of high amount of spam accounts, registering of new accounts have been disabled. If you want to be a member of these forums then please contact me directly (via email or social media).
GKS

Post by GKS »

Hi guys,

I don't know where to post ... end up here. My name is Guna from Malaysia. I'm very happy by seeing the way you all give people everything for free. There are still good things happen in this world due to people like you all! . . . Good work . . . Keep it up.

Here are my questions:-

i) Can we sell to people the games created using ZGE?
ii) If it is free, do we need to show your info in this game?
iii) Do we need to pay royalty?

I'm thinking to create games for students. Teach students using games. That is my project. I'm looking for the best software to do this. End up with this ZGE. Looking for your favorable reply. Thanks.

Guna Kanthans
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: New Member

Post by VilleK »

Hi and welcome Guna,

Thanks for the supportive comments!
GKS wrote:i) Can we sell to people the games created using ZGE?
Yes.
GKS wrote:ii) If it is free, do we need to show your info in this game?
Yes, at the minimum please put a link to ZGE-website in an readme-file with your game.
GKS wrote:iii) Do we need to pay royalty?
No, no royalties.

I hope you will find ZGE sufficient for your needs, it is a tool constantly in development and if you find problems with it then post about it here for support.
GKS

Thanks

Post by GKS »

Hi VilleK,

Thanks for the infos. I've downloaded all the necessary files to give a try to ZGE. Will come back to you, if I need assistance.
LanoG

Post by LanoG »

Hi, I am new here... found ZGE accidently when I search for Game Editor tutorials. This tool is very usefull dan powerfull to make any 3D type games and 2D game with '3D feel'. I will look forward to try tutorials provided in the site. Thanks for producing such a beutiful tool like ZGE.

One suggestion is to enrich a tutorial section with 'how-to' articles and explainantion especially to the beginners. Thanks again... :lol:
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Welcome LanoG!
We all hope you find the Editor usefull ;)

Give a look at all the example project for learning faster, because it is not easy to find time both for updating how-tos and tutorials and continuing the develope of this program! (almost the entire code is from VilleK)

What you will probably need is always up-to-date: the component reference and the "writing expressions guide"
http://www.zgameeditor.org/index.php/Co ... mponentRef
http://www.zgameeditor.org/index.php/Ma ... xpressions

Bye bye!
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

a basic game templet

Post by jph_wacheski »

I had been thinking to make a small tutorial for beginers as well,. however as Kattle say, we are all busy doing many things,.

I have posted a .zgeproj file for a simple game I made, it may be helpfull to look at,. viewtopic.php?t=102

or attached is a basic game templet,. it gives you basic player movement, shooting, and advancing targets,.

Arrows and Z key.

eventually someone will find more time to build a nice basic tutorial to go along with ville's,. as the more info ppl can easily find the more likely they will pick up and use the system,. and I for one would lov to see more games and demos being posted,. if you get stuck just ask specific questions in these forums,. peace.
Attachments
s_basic_game.zgeproj
a simple game to start with,. . enjoy!
(8.39 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
iterationGAMES.com
LanoG

Post by LanoG »

Thanks kattle87 & jph_wacheski for both ur advice. I've try first & second tutorials, and I am impressed with features, components available in ZGE.

I am looking forward on other articles and tutorial... :)
Flip

Post by Flip »

Greetings! I downloaded ZGE a month or so ago and am using it to learn basic game programming/structure concepts. (I hope.) It's cool how small and efficient it is, once I get the hang of it I think I'll enjoy it a lot: right now I tend to beat my head against the wall whenever I run into problems.

Good forum by the way, I've answered a few questions already just by searching. Surprising on a forum this small. :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Welcome Flip! I'm glad the forum works for you. Feel free to suggest features that will make ZGE easier to use.
Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks! I will.

EDIT: Should I just start a new post in "Feature Requests?" Or look for a topic with a similar request?

Or just post here: File Saving and a Merge Game function like Game Maker has.

File Saving obviously lets you keep data persistent between games: it opens up new game types like adventure/rpg and lets you save games and scores in the games we already make.

Merge Game appends data from another zgeproj, renaming things if necessary. This could open up community development a bit more, I think we could build game components, objects, and easily import them into game engines. But I'm finding it hard to articulate the case for that feature right now.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

About the merge-feature: you can do something like that now if you open two instances of the designer (or choose "File" - "New Window") and copy-paste between two projects. Components are renamed if necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you think anything more then please post in feature requests to make it easier to find.
Flip

Post by Flip »

Oh, cool. Thanks for the tip. I still have much to learn.

If a component that gets renamed is a variable declaration, will scripts that reference that variable be changed as well?

Right, I will. And thanks for the great program, I can see you've put a lot of work into it.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

That is a good point,. if you want to collect a library of objects or models as they are called in ZGE, or sounds or, meshes, or bitmaps,. is is very simple to just create a project file with all those items in it and open it in a seperate window,. the really nice thing is; that you can group stuff together using the folder looking groups, and just cut and past the whole group! Welcome, and have fun.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Actually they are not. It is some kind of "weak point" but somehow it also prevents you from doing "bad things". EG: if you have 2 components with the same name (you can have if you just cut & paste) you could really screw up things. Let's say that when we will get sure about how to make it bullet-proof, we surely will do something about it ;)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-