Feature requests?

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Kjell,

A couple of questions:

"RenderSprite:UseModelSpace" - The default behaviour of rendersprite is in model space. Do you mean you need a "UseScreenSpace"-property to override this?

"Keypress.ASCII" - Is this needed when you have the Keypress.KeyIndex - property? For example if Keys="ABCDE", ascii is KeyIndex+65.
kattle87

Easy and Usefull feature:

Post by kattle87 »

Can you add a "disable/enable component" command to the right-click menu in the editor? I think this should be easy to implement and usefull when doing debugging and trying out various things!

Bye bye!
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

Indeed, a UseModelSpace / UseScreenSpace switch to set the Space in which the Sprite is rendered. Which of those two, depends on what you want to consider to be the default / false ( currently Model for Sprites, Screen for Text ). Should be useful for GUI elements and such.

The ASCII request comes from not being able to use some keys as input right now ( Shift, Ctrl, Alt etc. ) Instead of having to map everything to alternate strings like you did for the Arrow Keys, ASCII might be a better solution.

Hope this clears things up,
K
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:idea:

SpawnModel:Inherit
- Spawned children inherit parents' translations ( position, rotation, scale ) each frame. See example image

SpawnModel:UseSpawnerPosition
- On True use SpawnModel:Position as offset value to the parents' position.

ZExpression
- Parent.Property support :roll:

K
Attachments
example.gif
example.gif (1.71 KiB) Viewed 14984 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

gota agree with kjell here; parenting should do these things,. in fact I sorta assumed it did,. but on checking the Book of Words it currently just removes the children when the parent is removed. humm,. gota find some other method to link objects together,. for my "big BOSS" at the end of Gyro-phyter.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes I agree proper parent transformations should work. The only reason it doesn't at the moment is because I could not find a simple way to implement it, but I'll take another look. Sometimes a solution just appears by itself after taking a long break from the problem.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej guys,

Well, it's not so much of a problem with single instances ( since you can calculate the values yourself using the parents as reference ), but for multi-model characters / animated groups of objects that you want to clone, there is no easy workaround ( that I can think of ).

I hope the break you've got from this problem has been long enough Ville :)

K
nikkk

Post by nikkk »

maybe emplement meshcollisions? with functions like "make as a wall@ and "make as a floor" to create some like DOOM etc:))))) ???
jph_wacheski

animator 'wander' and curve options,.

Post by jph_wacheski »

I was working with some Animators and thought it would be nice to have a 'wander' setting., just a smooth wandering between the set values,. similare to the noise function in the behaviors,.

This could be added to the fromKind pulldown or as a new Wander on/off tick-box. If we come up with other options the smooth tic-box could become a pulldown with those options; such as more curve options, like hard and soft smooth curves or the curve smoothness could alternatly become a value,. just a thought for the big list of ideas,. not a 'needed' function.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

jph: It's probably more useful to add a Expression field to the Animator Component instead, so users could define the exact curve calculation one wishes to use themselves.

nikkk: CollisionStyle:Mesh should be top priority on the to-be-implemented list indeed :wink: Doom however is already very well possible ( no slopes, only staircases & elevators / no rooms above each other ).

K
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:idea:

Font:Proportional ( boolean )
- Support for Fonts using proportional letter spacing.

Font:Ratio ( float )
- Width VS Height Rendering Ratio.

RenderText:CharASCII
- Useful for applying individual expressions to specific characters.

K
Last edited by Kjell on Wed May 07, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Kjell- yes that is a good idea! however one problem with having Expressions is that it adds to the complexity,. some times it is nice to just grab a predfined Expression i.e. smooth, smooth-soft, smooth-hard, smooth-noise,. etc. humm,. suppose we could post more stuff that is usefull in that new forum, thanks again for the nice circle draw!

VilleK- how about some edit functions in the editor? I could use a simple undo,. I have deleted components and wanted to undo that! I would also find some form of multi-buffer clipboard for holding code snipites and objects or groups of objects quite uesfull,. . just for the big list of ideas,.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I make notes of all your suggestions, thanks!

jph about multi-clipboard: everything you copy to clipboard in ZDesigner is standard text, which means you can copy a component including subcomponents and paste it into a texteditor temporarily, make changes in the xml-text, and then paste it back into ZDesigner. So if you use this feature with one of many freeware multi-clipboard tools available for windows you would something similar to the functionality you ask for I believe. Just a small tip!
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

I will sart using an external text editor,. good idea! and that reminds me, I was at a game dev. event here in Toronto and there was a presentation where a guy from micro$oft was pimpin' xna and it looked a bit like ZDesigner,. however with out the realtime preview, and all the nice components all organised properly for me, . well not so much i guess,. however I did think that perhaps it would be good to have a tab or some such that shows and lets you edit the actual XML of your project,. I know we can just use notepad or what ever,. but just a thought.

Also I posted G-Phyter over in the TIGforums to get some feedback; http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1665.0
and based on those I have since thought that perhaps I would rework the controls to incorporate the mouse to aim and shoot,. however I think we need a way to recenter the mouse from a ZComponent,. it is my understanding that most 3d games with mouselooking seem to do this. Then the movements of the pointer, away from the center of the screen, become the rotations of the view. so perhaps if app.mousePosition was not read only,. ? or there was a mouseCenter bit somewhere,. . or is there another way of going about this,. personally I enjoy the keyboard controles,. but with the hardware limitations, perhaps we should think of a mouse control option.

attached a demo of mouse control in the game but see how it is not possible to go endlessly in circles,. with the re-centering buisness, we will be able to make it much smoother as well,. . give a try.

Code: Select all

currentModel.rotation.Z=1-app.mousePosition.x*.5;
is just this currently,.
Attachments
gyro_phyter_neo__036_mouseTest.zip
LMB to fire,. and left and right ARROWS are strafe here,. .
(42.24 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
iterationGAMES.com
myraneal

Post by myraneal »

I think a real-time search function for the project tree could be very handy. Maybe something like in the image I attached to this post, right above the tree (it's just a mock-up made in Photoshop :P) Actually it might be better to call it a filter function since it should be real-time, as in objects that do not match the current filter req. dissapear as you're typing. Like in iTunes.
Or, an alternate could be Hide Selected, Unhide All functions for the objects in the project tree, just to make the working set a bit smaller and easier to work with.
-Yılmaz

EDIT: Also, is there a way to tell the forum software NOT to show the whole image when I upload an image file to it? I'm sure people can get frustrated if they have a 1024*768 screen and there's this 1280*1024 image stretching the forum webpage.
Attachments
search.jpg
search.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 14859 times