Feature requests?

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Feature requests?

Post by VilleK »

I'm planning which features to add for next version of ZGameEditor.

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then post a feature request here, thanks! :)

EDIT: Because there are so many posts in this thread now I've moved the discussion to a separate forum here.
Last edited by VilleK on Mon May 12, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nikkk

Post by nikkk »

Hi! sorry for my poor english)))) :(
it will be cool to impliment the features to import meshes in format 3ds with multitextures applied, or having some feature like lights or lightsmaps (baked), i like to see collisions with players and walls (like in doom)
I am a russia architect, i like your program to make the interactive demos with some intriors:-)))))))))))) :lol:
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Ok, I will look into importing mesh formats. Can't make any promises though :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Any more requests? If there is a feature you want then please ask about it here :)
peterparker

Post by peterparker »

VilleK wrote:Any more requests? If there is a feature you want then please ask about it here :)
You asked for it ;)

It would be great, if Materials had a clamp checkbox, which will control wether a texure is mirrored, tiled or clamped

Also It would be nice, if Materials would have something for animations like zoom/rotate for bitmaps(see my first post here).
So you can define different Materials with same texture. AFAIK you could do this by using the texture-matrix in opengl. Its a powerful tool to create highly dynamic scenes.

Greetings,
Peter
peterparker

right mouse click annoyance..

Post by peterparker »

A small feature:

At the moment you have to click on a treenode first with left MB to activate and then with right MB for context menu.

It would be nice, if you can just press right MB and the appropriate node will be activated and context-menu is displayed.

This is like Windows Explorer is working..

Greetings,
Peter

PS I Like this tool!!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I had not noticed that right-click didn't work, thanks for pointing that out. Will be fixed in next version!

Material-properties: Yes texture-clamping options are needed. I'll look into it. Also a TextureRotate property would be useful.

Thanks for the suggestions.
lost_soul

Post by lost_soul »

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think so far ZGame Editor doesn't support imported animation data (from 3ds file) so if i want to animated my model, i must do that directly in ZGame Editor. I thinks is would be great if there any chance to directly import texture and mesh with animation data (maybe we can using directX .X file format or Quake MDL/MD2 format). Thanks anyway.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes you are right animations are not yet included in 3ds-import. Possibly there is a more compact representation of animations in other formats like ".x", so maybe that is a better route to follow. I'll definitely look into this, thanks for the suggestion.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

First of all, i'm italian so sorry for mistakes and mispellings :)
some features that would make collision very nice:
first of all, collision should be 3-dimensional... I know u are going to shut me up :P but your engine should be able to take care of z position of objects.
plus i think that a spherical collision is a must... and an ellipsoid collision would be great... but i don't know how collisions works.... so i wonder if u just do need something like distance algorithms or anything else.
a spherical one is quite simple, and would use only 1 input box for radius, while an ellipsoid requires 3 axes... but 3 input for rect + 3 for ellips = 6 input boxes :(

what about using a textbox (eg using negative integer values) or _something_else_ as a flag for collision type ?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi Kattle87,

Good suggestions. I promise next release will have at least sphere vs sphere collision tests.

So on the models you want 3d-collision tests you set a new property:
Model1.CollisionStyle=Sphere3D

And CollisionBounds will then only use one value: the radius. Just as you suggest.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

hi! it's me again xD
just 2 advices:

first of all i think we do really need something like Arrays... it was said somewhere in others posts... and matrix would be far better anyway :P
(i'm working on a NICE breakout clone and i'm suffering the lack of such data structures...) and after u have implemented arrays also having strings entered during the game would be "easy" to implement.

Second... about net gaming... will you be able to do something like treat the connections as a stream? (or if u prefer like a "file", actually i don't know if ZGE is written in C, C++, ASM, LISP :P or whatever else). the connection should just do something like generate an event when something (read "an array" of chars) is on the stream.... u should be able to get something like this working with standard libraries... the rest is left to the game programmer!

One last question: will it ever be possible to write part of C code and have them included in a created game?

Bye bye!!!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

1. Arrays. I agree that this is very much needed :). I was thinking about rewriting the scripting to support many more language features such as arrays, local variables, loops etc. But this will take a long time. Maybe I will find a way to make arrays separately.

About making a breakout-clone: the only feature that makes defining levels of bricks easier would be to use the File-component (see the FileDemo-project for reading level data from a file).

You say you need a matrix also, do you mean a matrix for doing 3d-calculations like a OpenGL matrix?

2. Networking. I haven't thought much about this yet, but you have a good suggestion. Even network components with a primitive interface can be useful for people that are used to network development.

3. Call native C-code. The way I see this possible is by supporting calls to native libraries (dll). This would be useful for interfacing with external libraries such as musicplayers and physics. I want to support this feature as part of the "big scripting language rewrite" (see 1).

Also, please post a screenshot of your breakout-clone when it is finished! Knowing that ZGE is useful for people is good for my motivation :)
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

my idea of matrix is just a multi-dimensional Array like

char Array[20][20];

or

char Array[20][20][20];

>> About making a breakout-clone: the only feature that makes defining levels of bricks easier would be to use the File-component (see the FileDemo-project for reading level data from a file).

I told u it's a _nice_ version of breakout... i'm gonna add some "features" :D

i'll see if i will be able to use only collisions for what i've in my mind..

One last: what about opening a new part of the forum dedicated to works that people make with ZGE? i'll be there to post something every day if i just had not to study so hard (i'm in a college) :/ i'm gonna be an engineer within 3 years :P

hope to get a new version from u within the end of the year :D
bye bye!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Ah ok you mean a normal multi-dimensional array.

A forum-group for project showcase is a good idea! I will set it up soon so you can post screenshots :wink:

edit: Ok "Your projects" is created!