Beta release 4.0b

Information and change log about the latest ZGameEditor release.

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Re: Beta release 4.0b

Post by Rado1 »

FYI Beta 4.0b contains updated help file which should reflect all the current features of ZGE. In addition to the old help, it contains reference to the scripting language, descriptions of all components, more examples, more how-tos (e.g. how to generate ZGE applications on Android), reference to keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Please let me know if you find some error, unclear description, typo, or you would like to add some topics there. The latest version of the help file you can download independently on distribution of ZGE from https://github.com/VilleKrumlinde/zgame ... Editor.chm
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes, Rado1 has made an heroic effort updating the help file! We will use this documentation on zgameeditor.org soon as well.

Fixed bug with not being able to type in the sound sequence editor, and also some minor bugs when switching projects (close all property editors etc.): http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip

(rrTea: I note you just changed to a photo avatar and I just changed mine to a sprite :). Mine was over 5 years old so I'll replace it with a newer photo at some point).
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

[quote="VilleK"]Can you post a midi-file that demonstrates the problem? I just tried here and it sounds like it should.[/quote]
I wasn't using a midi-file but a Sound component (the one from my [url=viewtopic.php?p=8041#p8041]previous post[/url]). Note that if you try to do this with other sound components it might "only" sound a bit off (which is also not intended I guess). The Sound component from the post linked above actually breaks things, you can hear it in the video at 00:15.

Also try this (minor but weird):
1. Paste the sound component below into the project tree.
2. Open the Editor of the Music component and click Play Music to hear it.
3. Expand the Music component in the Project Tree and open the Editor for the Sound component (in Instruments).
4. Click "AutoPlay" of the Sound component.
5. Tick on the "Filter" field (immediately below where the AutoPlay is), change it to some ridiculous settings just so you can hear the difference. The sound will change accordingly.
6. Go back to the Music component, click "Play Music". The music will sound exactly like it did in the previous step.
7. Now go back to the sound component in Instruments. But you'll notice the "Filter" is now turned off (it was turned on in step 5)!
8. Go back to the Music component, click "Play Music". The music will sound different than in step 6 and exactly the same as it did in step 2.

Phew! that's it. Nothing horrible but it makes you scratch your head ("Didn't I just tick that on and actually hear it work?").

(Yes I was planning to change my profile image for a long time, but maybe I should have used a newer photo :D )

Edit: fixed step numbering + shortening.
Last edited by rrTea on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Fixed that last problem with sound properties not being saved correctly (a similar bug also was reported by Kjell): http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Pressing "H" in the sound editor brings up Help instead of playing a note. Just a minor inconvenience.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

[quote="rrTea"]Pressing "H" in the sound editor brings up Help instead of playing a note. Just a minor inconvenience.[/quote]
I cannot reproduce it on Win7. Do not have you somehow switched Alt on?
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Sorry I wasn't specific enough - I meant it brings up the whole Help (like pressing F1), it doesn't open a menu. In any case it was just "H", without Alt (other keys played the notes normally). I can't trigger it again unfortunately.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Alt+H in Sound editor opens ZGE Help window on my computer.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Yeah now it does it here too (I restarted ZGE since the last post). It wasn't behaving like that a few minutes ago. No idea, maybe it's my mistake - if that is the case sorry and please disregard.
Last edited by rrTea on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Almost all values for angles in ZGE (except one, can't remember which, that uses degrees) work with 0..1, but RenderParticles' Direction and Spread work from 0..PI. Not necessarily a bug but the 0..1 system would be better as it's more consistent with everything else.

Edit: fixed a mistake.
rrTea

Project Tree contents disappear

Post by rrTea »

All the contents in the project tree can disappear, after which other things start failing to redraw too, for example detaching a Code Editor window doesn't work as usual anymore. Sadly I didn't manage to retrigger it. I'm linking the screenshot elsewhere because of huge dimensions:
https://archive.org/download/raymond_vi ... 811%29.png

Luckily for me I managed to trigger a recovery by selecting a random Style and reverting back to Windows Style immediately afterwards.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Updated beta with a few fixes:
- Expression and shader editor now show the name of the property being edited in the panel caption.
- After clicking Compile button in editor, the Edit field in the property list will be updated with the content of the property (like it was before I added detached property editors).

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Something seem odd with text again in the latest version. For numbers with 3 digits, the third is drawn on top of the second.

Is still use a RenderCharExpression with this code :
CharX += FontMap[ord(subStr(Text, CharI, 1))]*1f/FontData[2]-1;
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

@Imerion: Nothing is changed in RenderCharExpression so if the previous version worked then the current one should too. Can you check again? If it doesn't help, try posting in bug reports and see if Kjell can check it out.

Update:
- Right click in Log window gives an option to only show log messages that comes from "trace()" calls.
- Performance improvements with RenderSprite and RenderTile components

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
rrTea

Thanks!

Post by rrTea »

I'm already using the new build and enjoying the filtering options in the console window! The only issue I noticed so far is that if a RenderTile has a RenderSetColor in front of it, the setting gets ignored (or looks off) for both colors and alpha. Also some tiles have a weird color under certain conditions (haven't attempted to isolate it yet). (Both situations worked as expected in the build from two days ago and I used both extensively.)