Beta release 1.9.9b

Information and change log about the latest ZGameEditor release.

Moderator: Moderators

y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Attachments
look.gif
look.gif (22.58 KiB) Viewed 26245 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Haha, Kjell you figured out how to use it without any instructions, good hacking :)

I will see how it turns out, there are a couple of things I need to polish before updating the beta.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

@VilleK - Not much to hack when you can just read how it works in the source.

@y_offs_et - Would have been a nice tool if it would display the arguments each function takes :?

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Would have been a nice tool if it would display the arguments each function takes Confused
Yeah, you'd probably have to pay for that.
diki

Post by diki »

do i understand correctly that this basically wraps the functionality of any dll into zge?
because i approve so much of this i could burst! :D
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The beta is now updated with the brand new DLL-functionality and other bug-fixes and updates! See first post for details.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Yay,

Can't help but feeling excited / nostalgic about bit shifting & hex values :D

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Mod Play works perfectly. Hooray!

You'll just have to explain how to access the code from in the editor. There doesn't seem to be anything but the caption available. :?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

y offs et wrote:Mod Play works perfectly. Hooray!

You'll just have to explain how to access the code from in the editor. There doesn't seem to be anything but the caption available. :?
Maybe you have collapsed the whole application tree? I've seen it happens sometimes. Just double-click the app-node. Also the tree scrolls horizontally because the app-component has a long comment. Click the horizontal scrollbar.
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

:? Seems to be working now!? We had a power failure here for a few seconds, although this was happening before. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

:)
Last edited by y offs et on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diki

Post by diki »

this is worth enabling smilies!

:D

very neat implementation! this should greatly help avoiding featuritis in the zge core components. maybe we can collect a handful of useful free / open source dll's that can be elegantly plugged in.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Very Nice!

The BASS.dll is working, however if I run the example project in the editor the music plays on when the preview is stoped? I noticed the code in the new and welcomed OnClose event,. but it is commented out?

Code: Select all

//BASS_Stop();
//BASS_Free();
When run normaly (F9) the music does stop properly when the application is closed,. just wondering about how this works and if the // out code is just not needed?

The transparent window part is not working here,. it starts tansparent then quickly goes solid. it goes transparent again when moved around,. however this leaves junk on the screen everyware it is move to,. and this junk stays when the app. is closed,. I have to close and open the editor to clear this,. . note: looking again, it is the stuff in the window that is not transparent and leaves junk the window itself is ok.

Anyway, little squishable bugs aside, the dll suport is a niffty new feature! Physics is of course my first thought,. http://bulletphysics.com ? would this be the best engine, anyone have thoughts on this?? or perhaps this one; http://newtondynamics.com ?

and for XM playback a free alternative and smaller dll may be this one; http://ufmod.sourceforge.net/ although I could not find it built as a dll, and not sure what features if may have besides simple mod playback?? If any one builds it please post!

Man, the features keep coming, and quickly!!!
thanks a bunch Ville!
iterationGAMES.com
diki

Post by diki »

definitely physics :)
i'm currently looking into box2d for starters. taking baby steps, though; got a blank dll to compile in codeblocks & talk to zge today. looks like building dlls is still in range of my abilities :)

edit: f* yes, box2d dll builds & gets invoked just fine :D
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Don't really know which one myself, but on other forums, they're leaning towards bullet.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Box2D sounds exciting, looking forward to hear on any progress diki :)

And we should definitely start a thread on DLL's that work with ZGE together with ZExternalLibrary-definitions that can be cut/pasted into projects, good idea.

I did try uFMOD before bass.dll but unfortunately there is a bug in the dll-version that makes the audio just loop one second of playback. It has been posted on the help-forum in this thread and has not been fixed afaik.

Transparent windows should work on any WinXP or newer OS but I guess when it is a OpenGL-window it also depends on the GL-driver so I have commented that code out in the example project.

I had trouble call BASS_Free because the process did not release properly and was kept in memory. But I found out it was a conflict when ZGE releases the DirectSound-handle, so I've tried to fix that now and uploaded a updated beta where the BASS_Free call is made in the example project. That way it will work both in the designer and in runtime.