Gamepad reader

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice work, this looks promising :-)

At the moment adding support for multiple Android API level is too much work for me to implement and maintain. I suggest instead that we raise the API level in ZGE to the minimum needed to support your gamepad code (12?).
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Ville,

Is there no easy way to make this selectable? I can imagine some developers might not want to cut off Gingerbread users ( in particular ) just yet.

If not, perhaps it might be a good idea to get a 3.1 release out of the door first ( with the current API Level 8 ), and bumping up the minimum API for 3.2.

K
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

VilleK wrote:At the moment adding support for multiple Android API level is too much work for me to implement and maintain. I suggest instead that we raise the API level in ZGE to the minimum needed to support your gamepad code (12?).
I do not think it is as complicated as you think. Simply the libzgeandroid.so will always compiled just for Api level 8. The only think what needs to be added is a drop-down list in the Android settings dialog for the target API level. For now it can be either 8, 12 or 16. 8 for supporting the current minimal level, 12 for supporting gamepads, and optionally 16 for OUYA. Setting the level will be used just for initial generation of the Android building files. That's all what is needed.

But if it is too complicated anyway, then support only for API level 12 is pretty acceptable. It's Android 3.1 which runs only on relatively old devices without system updates for longer time. BTW all devices sold in these days have Android 4.*. (by some statistics about 20% of running devices are still running Android with version less than 3.2; but about 80% is Android 4.*)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

At the minimum we need multiple version of ZGE.java which is a maintenance problem in itself because we must remember to make bugfixes in several places.

If you can help me design a solution then it would help a lot.

Currently there is the .\Android\Template folder that is being copied into each ZGE Android project.

So to support multiple API levels we would need something like this folder structure instead:

.\Android\Template\API8
.\Android\Template\API12

However we should avoid having a full copy of all the files.

So perhaps:

.\Android\Template\Base <<<---- Here are all the files
.\Android\Template\API12 <<<---- Any extra files or files needed modifications for API12 are copied from here

So the "Base" is folder is always the default, then a certain API level can override it.

Anyones input is appreciated.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Ville, you explained in details what I meant in my previous post. I did not think it is so complicated...

But if so, what about to realize the idea of Kjell: "If not, perhaps it might be a good idea to get a 3.1 release out of the door first ( with the current API Level 8 ), and bumping up the minimum API for 3.2." ?