Explorer project

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

Carver413

Explorer project

Post by Carver413 »

As promised I am back to explain my project a bit. the explorer can best be explained as a procedural engine. using scripts to create textures, 3d tiles ,characters, animation ,sound. not so different from the ZGE. the explorer is built on a custom linked list design, this design allows each object to maintain its own data without the need for container classes. with the explorer you don't usually create objects and add then to a parent, but rather ask that they be created for you. the parent will decide whether it can handle the object, everything is managed by the framework so mem leak's aren't an issue. scripting is built into the framework, it is more of data language not really intend for low level work like the ZGE but we can talk more about that latter. my goal is to create a game engine something like the ZGE except that the editor is done with a scripted design rather then hard coded like most editiors are done now. some pic's of stuff create from scripts only. here you see the model is walking and the line art from the explorer's powerful brush design.
Attachments
Man01.jpg
Man01.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 18017 times
LineArt01.jpg
LineArt01.jpg (528 KiB) Viewed 18017 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Looks cool :). Is it open source? Any beta version available for download?
Carver413

Post by Carver413 »

it will be opensource when I get to a happy place but there is much to do to get to that point currently it only works in linux 32 bit. I plan to upgrade to 64 bit when I have the time. as far as other systems I don't know most pascal engines don't see much use so is it really worth spending the time at this point. I have a plan to make an actual game with it because that would be the real selling point. then if it makes since to do so add support for other systems or let some else do it.
Carver413

Post by Carver413 »

still working away on my little project,I'm calling this little bit Tileworld for the moment It's all created with a script if you can believe it. It works much like a 2D tile map except it's 3D. you can draw on it even from the 3D side, so in game editing would be possible.
Attachments
TileWorld.jpg
TileWorld.jpg (250.69 KiB) Viewed 17466 times
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Looks really cool! Is that ZGE-based too?
Carver413

Post by Carver413 »

sorry no, the explorer is being developed with lazarus and free pascal. at this point it is more editor then engine. I would most likey use it as a front end to an engine perhaps even the zge if it suits my needs. it has a scripted front end and a gui design that sits on top of opengl. imagine designing a game while inside the game and being able to customize your tool set to the game instead of some one size fits all solution.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

imagine designing a game while inside the game and being able to customize your tool set to the game instead of some one size fits all solution.
Indeed, that sounds cool! Red Eclipse (and it's engine Sauerbraten) does something like that, but it is limited to levels design for FPS games.