YY Slider (simple, relaxing polarity puzzle game)

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

Kgm

Post by Kgm »

Interested game. Do you have any plan for an Android version? I think the game itself is good material for mobile platform.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Imerion: Thanks!

Kgm: I don't really use Android phones.
Last edited by rrTea on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rrTea

New build

Post by rrTea »

Here is a nice playable build! New: ending screen, credits, numerous tweaks and effects etc... Use a nes-style gamepad or keyboard (cursor keys + z,x; space, esc). On the selection screen press left and right to select the level, up or down for room.

I uploaded it with all the rooms unlocked so it's easier to see everything. Some of the rooms already have a star unlocked, but of course the final build will have everything locked in the beginning except the opening level and no stars etc.

To do:

Code: Select all

The big font still has some trash pixels, have to clean that up. Small font needs to be tweaked a bit too.

Logos on the opening screen (one is a placeholder, the other is missing and there's just a circle on the bottom).

Music not yet implemented (it's written though).

Some graphical glitches connected to BitmapRectangle, for example the arrows are drawn wrongly. This has already been reported [url=http://www.emix8.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7739#7739](1)[/url].

The background animation on the splash screen and credits screen will be changed, this is also connected with the BitmapRectangle glitch like above. For now I'm using two overlapping RenderNets for funky effect.

Solving certain rooms will not award a star (*).

Code optimizations.

Small text counter in Level 8 is white, it should have an outline or something otherwise it's hard to read on bright backgrounds.

Level design improvements.

Change the name?
...probably more?

Even as is, it should be enough to convey the idea. Thanks to the UPK magic, the whole build is still only 59 kb, crazy! Final game will probably be bigger because I'm planning to include Rado1's SunVOX library (which is some 250 kb) but even with that the whole pack'll be pretty small!
Last edited by rrTea on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Oh, I really want to try this! I'm a bit tired after spending the whole night coding the the GameJolt Game Jam though. But I'll give it a try next time I'm here! :)
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Couldn't sleep, have tried it now. ;)

A like how transitions between menus, as well as the menus themselves, have come together. Everything feels smooth, responsive and stylish!

Now I see what you mean with the RenderGrid background too. Looks great! So does the title screen background.

In one of the later levels there are blocks which switches between being opaque and transcluent. What do they do?
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Thanks for the nice words :-)
Imerion wrote:In one of the later levels there are blocks which switches between being opaque and transcluent. What do they do?
They just mask the rest of the blocks, so one has to remember which blocks were which (wall / floor / white / black).

The "stripes" mask reacts to whether the player is facing left/right or up/down, the "night" mask is deactivated by stepping on the "turn the lights on" star, the "noise" mask just obstructs the view after a few initial seconds but disappears once the player steps on it etc.
Last edited by rrTea on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
rrTea

Re: YY Slider (simple, relaxing polarity puzzle game)

Post by rrTea »

cover 01.png
cover 01.png (76 KiB) Viewed 20768 times
So I uploaded it to itchio, Steam Greenlight and to the homepage. Not sure how much sense does it make to connect it to Polarium Advance in the description (which was the inspiration for the redesign) - maybe not the most well known game in the world but hopefully lovers of this kind of puzzles will be familiar with it.

Edit: seems Greenlight audience only ever heard of one game of this kind?... And are very protective of it - I almost bit and posted them an educational link to something like "Lights On" longplay on YouTube (here it is if anybody's curious) (or "Flip & Flop", or "Qbert"... etc).

There is still a bug with BitmapRectangle that makes the arrows on menus look like Japanese quote marks but I'll probably just import them as images if I don't manage to find a workaround within ZGE... If anybody here wants a build just PM me.
Last edited by rrTea on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Ouch, I had no idea the Steam-community would be so petty and mean. Especially considering that many much less good-looking games seems to make the cut... I think your game looks great and is very well made and polished. And it's not like you would charge them a full AAA price for it.

Anyway, I think I might have an old Steam-account. So if I can get in I'll give you a vote. Also, it would be cool to have a ZGE-developed game on Steam. :) Not sure if there is any other?
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

It's understandable why would they react like that though. It is somewhat annoying they keep dragging out a game I've never heard of... I mean it even explicitly says in the description what is similar to this project (and was the main inspiration / springboard, alongside many other games from C64 onwards too numerous to mention), but seems nobody reads that?

This was primarily an experiment more than anything else so no worries (I don't even have a personal account there). Thanks for the nice words in any case, it's appreciated :-)
rrTea

New version

Post by rrTea »

I reworked it a bit more for the bundle version: changed the default keys to be X and C (instead of Z and X) for the sake of anybody from France and other European / non-American keyboard users, replaced the glitchy BitmapRectangle with an imported bitmap (this increased the size of the exe a bit if it matters), fixed a few minor bugs (I hope), and some other details.