ZPacman

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

kattle87

ZPacman

Post by kattle87 »

Hopefully this is the smallest Pacman you've ever seen... And yes it is UNDER DEVELOPMENT so collisions does not work and there's an error in the level design so the central point will let you pass trought walls. But this does not matter. Next step is collision between pacman and ghosts, then retexturing and adding eyes to ghosts, and things to be eated :D
I'll "release the source" because i need suggestions for graphics. See you soon!
Attachments
Zpac.zip
(38.28 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I like it. The collision between pacman and the walls work very well. The graphics are good too. Do you use 3ds-files for the ghost and pacman?
Attachments
zpac1.gif
zpac1.gif (13.38 KiB) Viewed 16727 times
Last edited by VilleK on Mon May 26, 2008 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I use pure mathematics and MeshExpressions ;) both for Pacman and the Ghosts, so file size is independant from graphics ;)
The best part is that actually Pacman and ghosts DO NOT collide with walls but they do collide with invisible models placed in the middle of every cross, and when they collide the invisible model "tells" pacman what directions he can choose ;) in yhis way, lots of issues are easy to resolve, but level design is more important than everything else (bad level -> pacman running wild inside walls).
turshija

Post by turshija »

game looks cool ...
can't wait to see it finished or at least in playable stadium ... :)
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Ville you must give this a look! There are big texture incongruences between preview and play! That sounds strange I know, but it seems to be some kind of psychedelic thing (related to rotation?).
BTW the work is still in progress and this is a sort of "alpha" stage. I'm quite slow I know but... university is pretty difficult... so not so much spare time...

Enjoy the preview :P
Attachments
Zpac.zgeproj
(49.59 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
turshija

Post by turshija »

i saw the difference between preview and normal starting ...
there is difference actually... :D

btw, interesting use of shaders, I haven't tried using them, so I didn't even know how to use it, but now I can experiment a little bit with it ... :)

and one thing... my fps in your game was around 5-10 ... :D
ghost model has like 4k poly, and player model has 2k poly, but they are so simple ... You should decrease that a little bit, its useless to waste performance on such a detail ... :)
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

wow! when you get 4 fps you risk getting models running throught walls!
Hopefully it was 4 k in preview mode... Because 4000*2+2000 = 10k triangles shouldn't be that hard for a modern graphic card (modern = geForce 4 or more)

Plus, this morning discrepancy went away for me. Argh!
Turshija, if you can, please post a screen of the preview mode!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I see the difference too. Perhaps it is related to the lightposition somehow not being the same in preview vs run-mode, since the shader is dependent on that. I'll take a look at this and try to fix it for next release.

Meanwhile you could try to replace the lighposition-variable with a constant vector instead in the shaders. I'd post an example but I don't remember the exact syntax. Something like "const vec4 myLight = vec4(1.5, 2.0, 1.0, 1.0);" for the declaration and then replace lightposition with myLight in the expressions.
turshija

Post by turshija »

I have ATI Radeon X1270 in my laptop, and that is probably the problem ... But look at the JPH's last project, it has many details and I can run it on 40 FPS without any problems ... But I don't know if he used shaders or not ... Anyway, I have big fps loss here... :?
kattle87 wrote:wow! when you get 4 fps you risk getting models running throught walls!
yeah ... :D
check the screenshots ... :lol:
Attachments
zpac1.PNG
zpac1.PNG (119.16 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
zpac2.PNG
zpac2.PNG (62.95 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej guys,

This is why we need Raycast :wink: You're not only going to run into this "problem" when a game is running slower then intended, also anything with a small collision model or moving at high speed ( bullets / racing ) might slip through obstacles when you don't check the trajectory before moving the object in question.

Right now the most solid solution is either to go with a grid or to calculate the trajectories yourself. Although I do feel bad not using the build-in collision capacities :oops:

*Alternatively you could go frame based, causing your game to playback more slowly on systems that can't catch up.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

There is a built in logic in ZGE that the logic never operates on a deltatime larger than 1/10 of a second (10 fps). But this may still be too large when dealing with collision between fast moving small objects. Anyway in preview mode fps normally is really low, so hopefully a fps this low will not appear in realtime. I agree the collision system should calculate and test trajectories, hopefully this can be fixed in a future version without too much work.

Anything to show us soon Kjell? :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

About the shaders: The shader-property of wallmaterial needs to be set to "WallShader" (it is currently not set). Then the walls look more predictable :)
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

Not just for collisions, also to gather information about the environment. How far away are walls / floors, what's the intersected face's normal, detecting whether a enemy can see the player or if its vision is obscured by a obstacle, easy 3d object selection, laser beams .. the list goes on.

*And yes, a Alpha release of WAVE is just around the corner :roll:

K
luster123

Post by luster123 »

WOW! that is really cool! Nice graphics and it looks smooth.