Flowers of Light - a real-time Light Synthesizer

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Flowers of Light - a real-time Light Synthesizer

Post by jph_wacheski »

I got inspered off Kattle87's Parametric Curves demo,. . cheers Francesco!

I started this here Light Synth,. I am building it for a friend of mine, who is going to be doing some vj'ing in a club in the Netherlands.

so far it is really basic,. however if your stoned, or easily amused, you may have a few minuets of fun playing about with the limited controls,. .

press H for the in app. help-screen

its a work in progress.., so perhpas more will develop.
Attachments
flowers_of_light_005.zip
40k of pure light!
(39.44 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi jph,

These kinds of things are always great fun* to create :) At what venue is your friend VJ-ing?

*So much fun that I couldn't resist

K
Attachments
kaze.zip
(38.4 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

very nice! like the custom screen size,. would look great on a tv eh.

yup these types of things are super fun to do with no collitions or messy game mechanics to work out,. pure fun.

here is another,.
Attachments
flight_of_the_starwinea__007.zip
pushin' the limits of my fanless 3d card,. but lost frams dont relly matter here,.
(37.92 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

A really notable great work :D keep the dream moving :D

BTW: how are you changing the colours? Do you just use a "refresh component" command or it is something more complicated?
jph_wacheski

RenderSetColor in the render event

Post by jph_wacheski »

colour_cycles.color.R= currentModel.rotationVelocity.x*5;
colour_cycles.color.G= currentModel.rotationVelocity.y*5;
colour_cycles.color.B= currentModel.rotationVelocity.z*5;

the camera moves are really the single object rotating around,. it is quite random,. so I just linked the values to a RenderSetColor in the render event.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

this is running (almost) smooth for me, so I thought about this as a ScreenSaver. Can you build the screensaver version for me? And for everyone that wants it ;) for me 1280x800 or (would fit better) 1440x900 are fine; with Kjell implementations should be fine :P

Bye bye!!! :D
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

I'll try to implement a "Use Native Resolution" checkbox for the next release 8)

K
jph_wacheski

ok the scr.s !

Post by jph_wacheski »

here are two .scr builds, 1280x1024 and 1280x800,..
I added a title and tweeked it a bit,. should be a nice screensaver.

Use Native Resolution will be great for .scr and games too,. Will there be intergration of your custom aspect ratio in the diaglog box or will it be limited to pre-set values? Great work on those by the way :) FOV is a great addition too,. any hope for gl fog? would just be nice to have for making games without shaders,. as all of mine have been so far. I guess most cards do support shaders anyway,. . course I have still not found a useable fog shader,. so still no fog.

oh is your custom screensize build posted yet? or are we waitin' for the next official relase,. just for kattle's 1440x900,.. is it a laptop? so many size screens these days eh.
Attachments
Flight_of_the_Starwinia_800_009.zip
1280x 800 for you,.
(40.15 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Flight_of_the_Starwinia__009.zip
1280x1024 for me!
(40.14 KiB) Downloaded 724 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi jph,

If, and only if I manage to get Ratio implemented properly ( it's a little trickier then I expected ), you'll be able to set this value using a ZExpression directly ( as it is a float / single ). So when your application is running in a 640x480 resolution with a ratio of 2:1 ( 0.5 ), the render area will in fact be 640x320 .. and as soon as that works I'd like to look into switching from and to fullscreen mode on the fly 8)

Non GLSL fog will stop working as soon as OpenGL hits 3.0, but I agree that's it one of the few effects that might still be worth implementing the old fashioned way.

GLSL fog can be very easy .. for a quick & dirty starting point use the following fragment shader.

Code: Select all

float depth;
float density = 512;

void main(){
  depth = gl_FragCoord/density;
  gl_FragColor = vec4(depth);
}
And it's probably not a good idea for me to start releasing builds by myself :wink: But if you really want a build with for example the CustomScreen properties, drop me a PM or give me a shout at the #ZGameEditor IRC channel ( on irc.esper.net ).

K

Edit - Updated IRC Channel
Last edited by Kjell on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Interesting ideas Kjell. I don't think I've really understood the screenratio setting, from your example it sounds like you want to make some kind of "letterboxed" mode when you shrink the render area? But if a user selects a 2:1 resolution from the dialog (or use a future NativeScreenMode setting) the render area will be fullscreen? Perhaps you can start a new thread in "ZGE Source Code" about ratio, and we can all discuss and help with the implementation?

Also I see no problems with alternate builds and releases of ZGE as long as the original about-box is present and the source is shared. This can open up for platform specific stuff like ZGE-with-lua, ZGE-with-ODEphysics,ZGE-linked-with-modplayer, ZGE-with-Direct3D and other features that probably not will appear in the main ZGE builds as I want to keep it independent of external files and cross-platform. When I open up a public Subversion of ZGE alternate builds will be easy to maintain with the latest version.
jph_wacheski

more

Post by jph_wacheski »

oops! I forgot to turn down the bitmap size,. it was 256x256,. is now 64! this may help performace and looks almost identical,. I re-jigged the flightpaths more like the original as well,. the swarm stayes more centered and looks a bit more chaotic anyhow. I currently think this is the finnal ver. and I may get back to the interactive light-synth performance instrament,.
kinda liked this little sidetrack though,. I always wanted to make a screen saver that looks cool from across the office,. . cheers.

kjell - sounds cool keep at it bro,. im concerned about aspect ration too as loads of widescreen around now,. unforunetly I can't currently afford one to test on :(
ville - ZGE with lua and ODEphysics sounds like fun,. even if it only runs on winsys,. I just could use simple ways to pass info. from objects that hit,. and address individual instances and locate them,. . all script issues,. .
I think you are quite right as well to keep the pure ver. free of entanglements ;) !
Attachments
Flight_of_the_Starwinia_800_011.zip
1280x800 ver,.
(40.24 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Flight_of_the_Starwinia__011.zip
1280x1024 ver,.
(40.23 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

The Ratio I'm referring to is the Camera Aspect Ratio yes, not the Screen / Window Ratio. And indeed this means you'll end up with a letterbox when your Screen / Window resolution is higher then the desired ratio, or a pillarbox when it's wider. I've been trying to push the necessary variables to the Platform_InitScreen and InitRender procedures ( glViewport ), but they seem rather woven into other parts of the source .. so it's easier said then done.

By the way, I'm sure this would be hell to pull off, but wouldn't it be great that when building a project from the editor, that only the modules / libraries that are used in a project are included / compiled in the standalone? :roll:

Anyway, let's not get off-topic much further and discuss this in the Open Source section instead :wink:

K