ZBlocks

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

kattle87

ZBlocks

Post by kattle87 »

Hi Everybody! After some time without an internet connection, I am here to post my 4-days work-in-progress...
This is the first game using arrays I think :D And I do hope you like this way of using them :P

This is a remake of a classic BreakOut, with an interesting new feature: isolated blocks fall like in Puzzle Bubble. The gameplay is somewhat different from the classic game: you can shoot one block and get a really great advantage, or you must care not to destroy some blocks or the whole level will fall on you. (falling blocks hurts! :))

Commands:
ZX for moving the pad
WASD for moving the ball (a little cheat that will be removed ;))

Present features:
-Every block has its own energy (from 1 to 9).
-Falling blocks can hit static blocks and both take damage from this.
-Falling and static blocks influence the ball in a quite realistic way.
-The pad has its own life: if you are hitten by a falling block, you take as much damage as the remaining life of the falling block. When life drops to zero, the pad disappears.
-PowerUps system is almost ready, and the first 2 PowerUps (Health and SuperHealth) are already present.

Will-be-added-as-soon-I-have-time features:
-A menu.
-Possibility of setting the side on wich the blocks are attached to the walls (currently they are attacched to the upper wall but you will be able to attach them to the lateral walls of the level!)
-All the PowerUps you suggest and I am able to create :D
Attachments
Zblocks.zip
Sources included but almost uncommented!
(45.63 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
ZBlocks2.png
ZBlocks2.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

nice!

Post by jph_wacheski »

good to see new stuff from you,. this is a nice contribution. I quite like your cubed sphears! your ability with meshes is very impressive once again.
I will have to take some time and wade throught your collision, bouncing, and keeping the ball outside of the objects code,. as it is all interesting, and a tad confusing. I am not sure how you are using the array or how you are getting the multiple blocks to fall., reading other peoples code is difficult, but I find I often learn the most form struggling through it!

it is an interesting game design,. although Im not sure the player currently has enouph control over the ball. it is mostly random luck that decides the block i hit so making big chunks of the blocks fall is not my decision,. . perhaps the player could catch and re-aim the ball ? first thing that comes to mind is that as the player holds the ball a little vector arrow shows tha aim and as the paddle is moved the vector cycles through 90 degrees of so, giving the player options of aim, but still a bit of randomness based on the angle and position of the paddle,. . just a thought. peace.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

the pad is "divided" in three sectors: if you hit it in the central sector, the ball will just bounce like it had hit a wall. If you hit the ball with the lateral sectors, the ball will get an angle proportional to the distance from the center of the pad, so with a little practice you can get good results.

I am attaching a txt for helping people who want to understand the logic behind the falling blocks. Bye bye!
Attachments
Game logic.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
diki

Post by diki »

hi kattle87,

nice idea! i especially like the way those blocks disintegrate, it has quite a destructive / explosive feel to it - very cool to achieve this with only 2 elements flying around!