Simplest FPS, escape from island game.

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

zakkwylde

Simplest FPS, escape from island game.

Post by zakkwylde »

Hi guys,
managed to make a game at last. very simple idea - you crash landed on a small deserted island. theres a dancing ghost on it, who will chill you to death upon touch, so you have to avoid it by running around. try to get off it.
very very basic game, its my very first with ZgE. as such the graphics are really basic. but i will embark on better projects next time. i couldnt get over the prob of making the mouse-look rotateable for more than 360deg, so it will not turn after 1 turn, so turn back the other way. working on it of cuz.
any constructive feedback will be good, and if you have any tips or code u think will be a good add-on do let me have a look:-)
Attachments
World0.zip
(72.64 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ha,. nicely done! looks good,. is there a way to win this ??
for how to get full rotation see;

viewtopic.php?t=275

I would like to see that little engine fixed up,. and made more usefull to more ppl,. but none have taken much interest,. give it a look though,. and post any improvements you make,. I notice that it is not the best set up,. as I just hacked it together if i have time I will clean it up,. needs to be simplified and generalized as muc h as is posible,. peace.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice 3d-models :) .

The instruction-screen looks jpg-compressed so there are lots of pixel-artifacts. If you save the original file as gif or bmp and import it again it will look better (and compress better too).
diki

Post by diki »

hey, nice effort! (i managed to escape)

i guess it would be cool if the trees would check for collision; that way navigating the island could become more challenging. the ghost has no need for collision, of course ;)
zakkwylde

Post by zakkwylde »

thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback, motivated to improve the game. to win it, hint is to explore the huts. for the intro screen, well i thought jpg would be the smallest file format so wouldnt make the game big, will try with bmp.
as for the trees, i did think about it. i had a hell of a time trying to learn about the collisions but now that i've got it, i guess no problem.
one small note - for the island, it was one 3ds model. and flat. next i intend to give it small hills and trenches. but how do i code the camera or player to follow the mesh y-heights?
And shadows...lighting, any tips on that?
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

zakkwylde wrote: one small note - for the island, it was one 3ds model. and flat. next i intend to give it small hills and trenches. but how do i code the camera or player to follow the mesh y-heights?
Easy way (from my point of view) is creating a surface (2D grid -see meshbox->gridonly), then altering it with an expression that moves vertexes following a mathematical function like "Vertex.Z = something". Add that function in a ZLibrary, then just call that function when you need to calculate the height for any object (points of a grid, trees, and so on) placing it in "OnSpawn" or in "OnUpdate" of the model.

For what regards "still" shadows, have you tried using a black bitmap? Of course, a little work to do here, and difficult to explain, but doable :P
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
zakkwylde

Re:

Post by zakkwylde »

[quote=jph_wacheski post_id=1350 time=1225680972 user_id=54]
Ha,. nicely done! looks good,. is there a way to win this ??
for how to get full rotation see;

viewtopic.php?t=275

I would like to see that little engine fixed up,. and made more usefull to more ppl,. but none have taken much interest,. give it a look though,. and post any improvements you make,. I notice that it is not the best set up,. as I just hacked it together if i have time I will clean it up,. needs to be simplified and generalized as muc h as is posible,. peace.
[/quote]

Hi jph_wacheski,

Sorry to bring up such an old post but i realized that the shot models in your FPS engine does not follow the crosshairs at extreme angles (i.e. vertically up and down). Would you know the fix for these? Or perhaps you already came up with an improved engine? Lookin forwards!
Kjell

Re: Simplest FPS, escape from island game.

Post by Kjell »

Hi zakkwylde,
zakkwylde wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:34 amSorry to bring up such an old post but i realized that the shot models in your FPS engine does not follow the crosshairs at extreme angles (i.e. vertically up and down). Would you know the fix for these?
In order to fix jph's "basic_FP_engine_001.zgeproj" project, change the ZExpression in obj_player > OnUpdate > KeyPress "shoot - LMB or K" > OnPressed into the following:

Code: Select all

obj_shot.velocity.x=cos(facing*2*pi)*(0-sin(facing_x*2*pi))*10;
obj_shot.velocity.y=sin(facing*2*pi)*(0-sin(facing_x*2*pi))*10;
obj_shot.velocity.z=0-cos(facing_x*2*pi)*10;
Do keep in mind that this project doesn't work in recent versions of ZGE due to the use of "App.CollidedCategory" ( which has been removed since ).

K