Holistic External - a tube shooter perhaps?

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

well, if you forget about the circle at the end, you can easily get the bullets as a point -> creates a line to be checked for collision and get the player (and the othere entities) as a segment -> Creates 2 lines to be checked.

If JPH is interested, I might came up with some kind of algorithm tomorrow (I have 5 hours of travel while on a train) :P
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

hay guys,. yeah! you know I am.., always lov to see what you guys come up with,. when you are able to share it,. . I have not noticed any problems so far with my brute-force-monkey-method of 3d sphears in actual space,. although I am sure you are right and at some speeds things could miss,. as well as not being the hight of efficiency,. and perhaps a little bit of overkill as far as checking,. it is working for me,.
I am a bit more of a designer then a technical enginer,. so as Kj say intead of doing things the 'right way' I just forage ahead and do what works for the moment,. of course this sort of unplanning method has the possibility of going very wrong,. well it is easy to paint oneself into a corner as it where,. . but when I am designing the game based of actual gameplay testing there really is no way to 'pre'-plan it!

Please keep the ideas floating around,. and I will grab one when I feal that i am sinking under broken maths,. .

peace.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I might have came up with a nice solution for you JPH, quite similar to Z-Scaling but that can be made also when using spheres for collision. :) Building and posting an example as soon as I came back home from the dentist :)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

The Mote - I think the name stays

Post by jph_wacheski »

Cool, I hope it works out, and I can try it!

Here is an update,. just more experimentation. got a nice bit of ambiant music working,. tis a tad dark,. so plays well off the rainbows of color,. . thinking to add some brakebeat type stuff,.

still just testing out some ideas for gameplay,. as it is now its an endless dive down,. that repeats,. seems I can play it endlessly so I will figure some more obsticals and balance it,. looking for a bit of a build in intensity and then some lulls and more veriety,. but we will see where it goes,. . gotta follow my muse,.
Attachments
The_Mote__013.zip
exe file,. .
(38.63 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

One of the original arcade tube shooters is "Gyrus". Your game is starting to remind me of that somehow. Probably because of the slow and swirly movement patterns of enemies far away in the distance.

jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ha! indeed, very good eye Ville, that is in fact where I am taking most of my insperation! (actually dug out the rom) Although I.S. is clearly based off that as well, if anything I will bend this more towards the Gyruss model,. but then again that is just a tube based iteration of Galaga or Galaxian if you want true roots. I suppose Space Invaders is mostly to blame for everything.., can you tell I grew up in the 80s,. lol Think I will go watch Tron. . .,

"the secret faith of the 20th century is not modernism. The secret faith of the 20th century is nostalgia..,"
- Terence McKenna
iterationGAMES.com
jph_wacheski

UPDATED demo! w/ new 'tube' graphic effect..,

Post by jph_wacheski »

had another go at this one,. been working on the rendering, with some of the new bitmaps,. and more stuff I have learned. I am thinking of a light in the drakness type theme, as the powups are glowing lights and the player and shots now have some dancing lights on them as well,. I darkend down the rest,. and I am liking the look,. the gameplay need loads of work,. but I have a few ideas ,. still very much a work in progress, but I wanted to show of the spiffy new "tube" effects,. more to come.
I am considering doing away with all visible polys,. and perhaps doing the whole thing in procedural bitmaps layerd in various ways., I find these look very nice and I do enjoy comeing up with the effects,. perhaps it will remain a mix of styles?
Attachments
The_Mote__026.zip
just a wip demo,.
(84.77 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Really nice: my idea that I can say right now:
You might easily want to add an "acceleration" effect instead of the standard speed. You can just use accell instead of speed when pressing the keys then add a little friction also. (EG: in the "onUpdate use Velocity -= Velocity*Friction*App.DeltaTime, just to remember you just in case :P).
Bye bye!!! :) Keep up the nice work!
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

demo ver.

Post by jph_wacheski »

Here is the ver. showed at the Hand Eye Society [ http://handeyesociety.com/ ] social,. .

Since it is far from a proper finnished game i just added a few things to key and 'played ' them into the game as i went.

Enter to start/restart.
X/C step through 4 tube effects,.
M spawn to a swarm,. switches off the waves.
N switch back on the flowing waves,. and adds an EYES effect.
P ause,.
Attachments
The_Mote__032.zip
128k exe file.
(125.38 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
iterationGAMES.com