Vector Locust - TIGsource "cockpit compo" entry

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

jph_wacheski wrote: another thing that I am interested in for AI is sight lines,. so any similarly optomised maths for finding if an object in range is facing (with in 90 degrees say) towards the other object??
Since you Only need to know if it is facing the right way:

angle_bot_to_player = atan2(player.Y-bot.Y,player.X-bot.X);
bot_facing_angle = ??? depends how is your config. It might be as simple as "bot.rotate.z". However you should already know this!

to know if it is in "sight": (abs(angle_bot_to_player - bot_facing_angle) < pi/8).

Just make sure you do not get some problems with the "step" that is there between (-180°) and 180°. If you send me a zproj file I will implement this in no time :)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

ha! more nice codes,. looks useable,. I have the behaviours behaving a bit better now,. so I will keep this in mind for when I really need it. I AM using the Taxi Distance stuff now for turning on the turret like nodes fireing and the AI state switching on closeness to the player,. (knowing the wireing will give some bonus stratagy when playing, don't tell the other kids,. )

Ville- yes Battlezone was great! it was created on some very old hardware too,. I still remember playing that at the mall, back in the 80s, lol! but a very different game from what I am trying here, but an influance for sure.., as with that vector starwars and starglider! plus all the games I have played since then,. you really never know where you draw from,. .
I fixed that menu issue,. i hope. that was just a bare-bones quick-and-dirt implementation so the kids that where asking could try it,. I can go back later and nice it up some,.

the new demo;

http://iterationgames.com/vectorLocust_034.zip
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

The "missile button" option still goes down on both arrow right and left ( even diving below 0 when using arrow right ). Always put your range / threshold scripts outside of the assignment statements, or even better .. write a function for it.

Also, Joystick control seems to be switched off every other time that you leave the control setup screen ( which is inconvenient when you're in the process of setting up your joystick setup ).

+ I assume you want to have the game run consistently regardless of framerate? If that is the case, please adjust the shooting interval to be time dependant, not frame-dependant.

+ And finally, although this is a personal preference, I'd process the joystick deadzone following one of the examples I posted. I'm not exactly sure how large your deadzone is, but right now the minimum value you can input is the threshold value itself. I prefer being able to input the full range ( 0 to 1 ) despite there being a deadzone ( gives you a much smoother control sensation ).

K
Attachments
Deadzone.jpg
Deadzone.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 12660 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

thanks Kj, I will have a look at your deadzone scripts (hay that is a cool name for a game!),. as that does look like a better idea,. yeah I just clamp of the low end., less than .2 I think.
I fixed the sign err in the setup menu,. I will post a new ver later., once I make that control 'switch' part of the settings that save,. (but hay I was just going to include the file reading and make ppl edit the file externally! so this is more than I initially intended anyhow,. ppl grumbleing seems to work as I tend to add the stuff pple ask for,. sucks being a people pleaser eh,.)

I think I got the deltaTime working on the shooting as well,. but some strange bug has crept in,. something I added that does not work, seems to still be executing after I have remeoved it,. strange,. . I am going to update my ver. of ZGE. cheers.
iterationGAMES.com
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

here is the latest;

http://iterationgames.com/vectorLocust_038.zip

fixes the negative value settings issue,. and many other bits and whatnots,. dont have the deadzone improvment yet,. but its on the list.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi jph,

I just tried the latest version from the tigsource-thread (50) and I think your gameplay-changes improves the experience. Before it was only shoot and strafe, now you have to balance different goals and risks.

The new melee-attack looks cool too.

Looking very much forward to see what this project will end up like!

/V
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ok here is the 'finnal' version (for the compo anyway),. . let me know if you find anything out of sorts,. I will hopefully fix it befor midnight tonight!

http://iterationgames.com/vectorLocust_079.zip

I created a little Z game editor intro. logo,. perhaps i will post that later so other people can use it too,. .

so what do you guys think? it is just one medium size battle for the compo perhaps I will build some levels for it eventually,. .
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

this game is pretty astonishing :D really nice one JPH! Just... you know... I was able to finish it (both destroyed the mothership and conquered all the nodes) and nothing appeared... was a little... Disappointing :D
Will you be able to create a quick&dirt final screen/ to make somehting appear? (even just a "YOU WON" caption). Actually I don't know what variables you can re-use... But maybe when there are no centers and no locusts, and you destroyed the mothership? It should only took one more variable to be added to the project... It should not screw anything =)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

thanks buddy! lots of this would not exist if not for your helps!

yeah, i forgot about a 'you win' msg. till i had just uploaded it to my site,. as it really makes no difference (andi will prpbably add some levels later) I am not eager to do so now,. plus my mother has a problem with her car I need to look into befor monday,. but perhaps after I have a beer, and chilax a tad, i will feel more motivated to add something,. I don't have all the variables needed and will have to tag some more in to 'know' when all the orange stuff is gone,.

rant: in GML (gamemaker) there are functions to simple do this,. instance_exists(o_orange_thing) returns a 1 or 0,. or just do a instance_number(o_orange_thing) <1 I know these are simple enouph to make,. it is just frustrating as I know (assume) the engine must have an array of instances to draw them and whatnot,. . oh, im just tired is all.. , cheers.

also i talked about it on the compo thread ; http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4976.0
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

8)

Very cool, even though it took me some time to figure out a strategy that actually works :oops:

Concerning the instance issue, correct me if I'm wrong ( Ville ) .. but I think instances aren't actually internally tracked by type ( which is fine really, since you don't need that most of the time anyway ). So adding a instance_count function would probably require some source work as well. Adding a global integer variable to which you +1 in a enemy's OnSpawn event, and -1 in OnRemove should be easy as pie though :wink:

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I agree the game is great! Love the improved audio and varied gameplay. Also the ZGE intro with the fractal style graphics looks very cool, as well as the aliens that are reflecting on the planet surface. Wish you all the luck in the compo jph! You are doing wonderful work of pushing the limits of what ZGE can be used for and I'm sure it can attract new users to this forum.

And you are right the ZGE-engine internally have all the details about instance counts etc., it's just making them available from scripting that is the problem. For example the scripting currently have no concept of "model type" so a function like "instance_count(PlayerModel)" is not easy to add. We could add a "instance_count(categorynr)" but that would be limiting and not the best solution. So the scripting engine requires some work and that is the hardest part in ZGE to enhance which is why progress is slow. But I'm sure we'll get there!
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

redacted,. .
Last edited by jph_wacheski on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Been having a few beers, eh ;)? Well, you sure deserve to celebrate!

Good selection of songs. I used to be a fan of Ministry before they got old and tired.

You should seriously add a "donate for beer"-button on your site, I think more people will send you money when they know it will come to good use.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Hi JPH! Hope you are fine now :P
I've recorded a (I hope) good-quality 800x600 video of me playing your last version :D
Right now I'm polishing it (EG: getting a decent audio, it was recorded really low, I don't know why.

What should I do next? Chose one of the following:
-Rapidshare or equivalent. I upload the avi then give you the link. I think you will prefer this.
-Direct Youtube upload on my account.

It's the same for me, so you choose. If you don't choose before voting on the TIGsource starts, I think I'm gonna upload on my account and post the link :P

Bye bye!
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

thanks guys,.

I was a Ministry fan back in the day,. up till 'jebus built my hotrod' or so,. but even befor the angry industrial/metal the goth-club-dancy stuff as well,. and Nick Cave is always nice and dark,. and Crystal Castles is quite cool new music and they are from my old hood,. and yeah a dunken' night of surfing old music videos,. . to unwind a bit is nice!

Donation buttons have never generated much for me,. perhaps your right though and I should just state that is a beer fund!
iterationGAMES.com