OpenStudio

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

OpenStudio

Post by Kjell »

8)

Since the IRC channel has been rather quiet recently .. I guess I'll be bouncing off builds on the Forum this weekend instead.

So .. I've started re-writing my ZGE Sequencer in a attempt to streamline the interface, make it easier for other users to add "Machines", and alter the Song file-format so it will be more flexible.

Starting with streamlining the interface .. I'm trying to get the interface to render elements only when they are updated or moved ( instead of each frame .. which is a real hog ) and came up with a structure, but I'm not sure if this works correctly on all video cards ( Z-Buffer garbage? ).

Please check out this basic build of the interface with some dummy machines whether or not there are any sorting artifacts. Left Mouse Button is Select / Drag and Right Mouse Button is Pan Camera.

*This build requires you to manually trigger the Renderer, so just Left-Click in the middle of the screen to activate.

Thanks ~
K
Attachments
OS.zip
(80.2 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

looks very cool,. and works well here, no artifacts.
Only issue I noticed was with the panning,. if you pan till the mouse is outside the window, and then release the button it does not stop paning, sorta' gets 'stuck' in pan mode,. simply right clicking again, in the window, un-sticks it,. so not a bit thing,. perhaps even intended?

That wallpaper pattern is nice,. it is not generated, is it?!?

As you know, I am quite interested in a sequencer,. so I would lov to test out the rest when ever you like! You got me interested. :o
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Working fine here too Kjell, very smooth and professional feel to it.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey guys,

ZGE doesn't register mouse button changes when they occur outside of the window, so when you release a button outside of a window .. the KeyPress Component will say "Pressed" until you release the button within the window. Anyway .. pretty easy to work-a-round ( fix in next build ).

The wallpaper is the result of a random Google Search :) Don't mention the graphics \ skin too much, I won't put much effort in until all functionality is done :wink:

K
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

REALLY Impressive Kjell :D
really professional and yet compact & completely working right now =)

This would be a sweeeeeeeeet program if I will be able to port this on the Pandora... If I will even get one.... They are more late every single day :( Nothing before summer I think... Bah :D Not a big concern since I have so many ways to fill my time... I also would love to try a sequencer... so I start using one with this I think =)
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Any progress on this?

I am working on what I intended to be a quick-and-dirty arena shooter,. sorta' that basic robotron/ripoff mechanic I lov so much ;) However it is becoming a larger project as the ideas keep pileing up,. (my overactive lazy mind again :( ) I am just getting to the point where I would like to add some music,. . I am considering midi,. or some simple code based ideas,. perhaps some loops from BUZZ,.
However if you have this working, I wouldn't mind giveing it a test run,. . if you are into sharing it that is.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

Some final questions before putting together the Alpha build.

- How many sounds should be implemented by default? Users can change this if they want, but it's a little time consuming.

- What sound properties do you want to be able to set in real-time? Currently I've got Note, CutOff, Filter, Length, BaseNoteNr, Pan and Volume.

- What sound properties do you think you'll be using ( as in changing ) allot during a song? Currently I only got a dedicated slot for Note ( and Sound ID, but that's required ).

Thanks ~
K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

humm,. I will have to se how you got it set up,. but I am looking to have a 4 channel music system,. however I would prefer to be able to play many sounds on those channels. once again, sound stuff is richly variable,. as is all this creative code implementation is suppose,. I just see so many different ways of setting these things up,. whatever you do, I will see what I can create using it! :) your list of setable sound properties is quite cool!
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

It's set up pretty much the same way as most traditional trackers ( under the hood at least ). I've ended up going with single dimension patterns just like in Buzz ( although they aren't limited to just one sound per pattern ), which you then combine in a timeline ( Sequence Editor in Buzz ). The number of layers / columns available can be adjusted easily. So if you want to trigger 101 sounds at the same time .. you could :P

Channels are set once for a whole project ( didn't think it would be necessary being able to switch those in real-time ), and you're of course limited to the 16 that the ZGE Mixer supports.

Anyway, the questions I posted don't have much to do with the setup though :)

K
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

8)

Small demo of OS Kernel in action. Any preferences for demo / tutorial songs to go with the Studio?

Press arrow up / down to change the BPM ( negative / reverse play supported ).

K
Attachments
SF.zip
(93.96 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hehe, I love the backwards play feature :). And the choice of graphics-theme.

Am I understanding this correctly that this is playback of a song that is created with your sequencer? So there is a zge "runtime" part of your sequencer that can be used in zge-projects?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Correct,

The part that takes care of the file processing and playback is completely separate from the interface. Otherwise it wouldn't have been so easy to use music created with OpenStudio in your own projects.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

That is quite cool! starfox team looks sweet looking at me from the little app,. tempo setting is promising for game useage for sure. wundering if you have a way to use a sound/or other track to trigger game events,. or can we just hack that into the player code? So a missle fires on each note bass drum trigger say?? anyway can hardly wait to try this sucker out,. could be my music system for BrineMonkeys even.

Ville, would it be possible to add a setting on the app for focuss,. as it is our apps stop when the lose focuss right? could the optionaly keep running,. so if this little window is playing a tune I can websurf while listening?
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

There's no way to trigger anything else then sounds out of the box ( since this would require dynamic component access through name or id ), but it's very easy to add custom events in the kernel yourself. For your question specifically you can just add a SpawnModel to the Condition component that controls for example the Drum sound.

I wouldn't recommend using OS for non-music pattern / sequence editing ( enemy spawning, animations etc ) though .. but I can't stop anybody from doing so when they want to obviously :)

K