The Branching Light Circuit Awakens - .scr

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

The Branching Light Circuit Awakens - .scr

Post by jph_wacheski »

In my personal quest to utilize ZGE in strange ways, here is another 'light painting',. Like that pigment puller one I did a while back, this is based around the idea of leaving pixel trailes in the screen by using; app.clearScreenMode=1;

the insperation for this one largly comes from reading this guys interesting site; http://www.taitographs.co.uk/machines.html
I was tempted to start building me a machine however figured that would become a load of work, so i went this digital 'simulation' type route.

I am quite happy with this production so far, (although there is an unintetional and strange glitch at the start that I can't quite isolate,. ) Here is a snapshot ver. to look at,. I may change it some more? just wundering how it behaves on other systems,. as that clearmode buisness seem a bit hackish perhaps?,. . report you experiance with it. cheers.

and look Kjell - no SPIRAL!
Attachments
branchinLight_screen.jpg
branchinLight_screen.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
Branching_Light__13.zip
.scr file of 47kb generates an endless painting,. .
(46.25 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Nice! I spent a few minutes looking at it because it is so varied. I like the text-fragment that appears. Maybe you could have several lines of text displayed on random positions. And perhaps you can rotate the camera slightly sometimes to give it more depth.

The startup-glitch is because of a bug in zge that does not clear OpenGL backbuffer on startup. The workaround is to start with ClearScreenMode=0 and then set it to 1 after a small amount of time.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Indeed,

Make sure to clear both buffers ( ClearScreenMode 0 ) for the first two frames ( spawn model with a defined integer starting at 0, incrementing with one each frame, destroy at frame 3 ) since right now I see my desktop each other frame :P

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

hummm,.

kjell- try this ver. the clear starts at 0 and after a .2 timer sets to 1,. does that kill that odd frame desktop thing? nasty that.

This iteration is quite a bit more random,. has a zooming FOV and un //ed the cameraRotate noise,.( thought is was too shakey) the individual 'brushes' now randomly move in z, (on the direction change timer as well,.) perhaps a tad too chaotic ? anyway, with these timer starts on stuff, it is very random now,. i.e each time I run it is is quite different,. .
perhaps I should make it randomly set the level or random, on a random interval? to limit the chaotic-ness,. yet allow some insanitay for a time.

crazy that, eh.
Attachments
Branching_Light__15.zip
.scr now 1.6 view ratio too,. .
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Like looking at pond water under a microscope, only colour inverted.
"great expectations"
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?

That didn't do the trick for me .. still seeing my desktop flicker through.

The danger of using a timer for this issue is that the length of the first frame could exceed the timer duration, causing only the first of two buffers to be cleared. Not sure though, there could be something else at work.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Works fine on my machine here at work (nVidia, Vista). I've set it to my screensaver to let co-workers admire it too :) . But as Kjell says it is safer to set the ClearScreenMode-property using his suggestion instead of a timer.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ok here is a new try. and an exe ver. to try as well,. I ticked on the full screen button as for this one,. I added a new brush element,. just a line., not sure about it yet,. but interesting.

I like the effect this creates, once I get this flickering buffer (humm good name perhaps) issue sorted I may attempt to do a game in this style,. not sure it will work, as it would be quite strange (slow?),. but untill we get a FBO it is worth an experiment or two,. .
Attachments
Branching_Light__16.zip
.scr and .exe w/ screen setup options
(99.38 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi jph,

Not sure what you changed, but it did the trick this time :)

K