Doomed - FPS, old skool,. .

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Doomed - FPS, old skool,. .

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ok, here is a proto demo of this Doomed game,. It is sorta dark currently ;) I added a map display so I can start working at some better dungon generation,. easier to see it that way. It is basic noise gen. now, but seems to make mostly passable mazes,. Press R to regen. the level map,. started some visuel effects,. need to work out methods to keep them depth sorted with the maze, without having z sorting errors in the particles,. . There is no culling of anything, it just draws the whole thing all the time,. but still runs fine here. The main intent is just a simple 3d dungon game, more efficient systems can be added later.
Attachments
doomed_009.zip
.exe (pew pew,. blam)
(49.11 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?:

Is it a deliberate design decision to enable the player to move faster when walking diagonally? Or did you simply forget to normalize the local velocity vector before rotating it :wink:

And you probably don't want to use the build-in collision system for these kind of things .. when pushing yourself into a wall the result is all jittery.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I like it! :)

Just add some sound effects and an objective and you have a fun game.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

ok, here is a bit more,. roughed in some sounds, added some roots hangin' down for decorations,. also now tints the wall colors to add some veriety. There are now gold coins to pick up,. no objective other than that yet.

just a bunch of experiments,. really.

some more stuff I would like to try here;

-intelligent dungon generation = rooms/hallways,. monster/treasure placement, . etc. no diagonal corners, so we can't see through gaps, and nor wasted objects,. i.e. out of view and inaccessable.
-doors that open if player has key,.
-ammo, 5 shot quick to re-charge, then pause to re-load.
-and whatever else sounds fun,. monster AI,. etc.
-any ideas?

as far as the dubble speed with two keys,. I am just quick hacking this,. so it is all very basic,. I sorta like that 'running' feature! I may fix it when/if I add the proper keypress setup (the stuff provided by kjell),. will need that for key press/release stuff,. banging into walls jitter is fine, as it adds 'realism',. try it!
I may post the .proj of this, but it is just a big sloppy mess (and in the non-'normal' x/y orientation).
Attachments
doomed_013.zip
.exe game proto
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The glowing polygon coins are nicely done! And the audio adds atmosphere. I spent a few minutes running around collecting coins and felt quite immersed in the dark dungeon :)
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Well, this one crashed me pretty good. Task Manager couldn't end it, so I sent a screen shot of how I got out of it. A novice would have to pull the plug.
Attachments
error.zip
(76.21 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
"great expectations"
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Anyone else having problems with this exe? It works perfect here. Maybe later you can email yoffset the zgeproj-file and see if he gets any warnings inside the editor.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

Works just fine on the computers I tested it on .. although this build seems to eat up allot more CPU time then the previous? Don't forgot to hide / destroy Models that are outside the frustum or beyond the fog limit :wink:

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Well, this one crashed me pretty good.
An update. In Windows classic I'm able to close the crashed program with a mouseClick. With vista Aero it's a lock-up.

I'll venture a guess the diff between 009 & 013 is the bitmapRect component, which is the only one that is still a problem for me.
"great expectations"
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah there is a bitmapRect,. in there.., the whole culling issue leads me to think i should just rebuild it anyway,. here is a hacking of the Kjell method;

for what I have been useing (32x32 size dungon) this should work well,. at 64x64 I can see the benefit of the culling with just drawing the sprites,. much larger than that and the culling itself seems to hit diminishing returns,. have a look and see if we can find any speed boosts,. I will hack in my walls and stuff to get the basic setup and post the .proj file for debate and suggested improvments,.
Attachments
Culling_hack4.zgeproj
.proj of culling tests
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

No problem - runs fine.
"great expectations"