tigVS - 2UP Battles,. .

Post screenshots, binaries and projectfiles of the projects you have made with ZGE that you want to share!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

tigVS - 2UP Battles,. .

Post by jph_wacheski »

I have been hacking away at a little game for the TigSource Versus compo,..

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17431.0

It is just the basic gameplay prototype so far, I plan to expand on it,. I just added basic sounds and a little ZGE logo to the begining ;)
iterationGAMES.com
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

I like the way the camera intuitively auto zooms. Just curious is that field of view or cam position. The lighting is nice too - I don't seem to be able to get results like that.
jph_wacheski

cheers

Post by jph_wacheski »

Yeah, getting the camera working was one of the main focuses (foci?) for this project,. I use a model that position positions itself in the middle of the two players;

Code: Select all

CurrentModel.Position.x=(o_2up.Position.x+o_1up.Position.x)/2;
CurrentModel.Position.y=(o_2up.Position.y+o_1up.Position.y)/2;
it then eases the camera position to where it is,. offset in Z (height above the ground) and also Y (towards the screen) to keep both players in view. these are based on the distance between the players and this took considerable tweeking to get working.
Having the camera change postions relative to the players gives a much more dynamic feel to the game. I also considered adding in a rotation but that will mean redoing the player inputs to take rotation into account..,

The "lighting" is just a Flat shaded material with Light on,. and i find that adding simple drop shadows (just blured bitmaps) helps the mind perceive the 3d space better,. I have concidered useing a global FBO shader shadow system, however I think i should focus more on the game play now. also the sound needs work, etc. etc.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The intro is great PR for ZGE :)
I agree that the camera works very well. The boost and build features are nice additions for the game play.
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

have considered using a global FBO shader shadow system
That sounds like it would be pretty difficult. Has anyone done this yet...Any sample projects floating around? Lighting, shadows, and camera control are some topics that I would like to learn more about. I'm having a hard time with shaders.

The intro is very cool too!

EDIT: that would make a great splash screen for ZGEviz...maybe run it by JMC?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Update 37 is great progress, now it's a real challenge and fun to play even in single player mode. The new name is excellent too.