KeyPress' onReleased alternative

Share your ZGE-development tips and techniques here!

Moderator: Moderators

turshija

KeyPress' onReleased alternative

Post by turshija »

Here is my way of onReleased alternative ...
I am sure there is something more elegant and better Kjell and JPH are using... :)
Attachments
MouseReleased.zgeproj
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi turshija,

Attached ( both exe and source ) is the system I have been using* for quite some while now. The example uses the following structure.

Input[Slots,Keys,Events]

- Slots being the amount of Player Slots you want to support.
- Keys being the amount of Keys you want to check.
- Events being the amount of Events each Key uses.

Since there's currently no function to read out the length of one of the dimensions a array has, the lengths are stored in Constants. In the example this is InputSlots = 2 ( for 2 Players ), InputKeys = 4 ( 4 Keys each, Arrow keys for P1 / WASD for P2 ) and InputEvents = 4 ( 4 Events per Key ).

Event[0] is just the current state of the Key, in Event[3] ( which is referred to as InputEvents-1 ) the state of the Key as it was the last frame is stored, while Event[1] is reserved for a OnPressed event, and Event[2] for OnReleased.

The EXE uses a low framerate ( 15 fps ) to make the OnPressed / OnReleased and LastFrame values more easy to distinguish.

Have fun ~
K

*Didn't work in Beta 1.9.4 because of a 3D Array bug, make sure you get 1.9.5
Attachments
Input.zip
(40.72 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
turshija

Post by turshija »

dude, I'm always amazed by your ideas ...
When will you release something ? :D
I'm sure you have something really nice somewhere on your hard disk ... :)
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:!:

Since the 2009 Beta release and the introduction of the "For-statement" you can just use ZExpressions ( without any repeat components ) to reset and process the values. So for the provided example ..

Reset

Code: Select all

for(U=0; U<Input.SizeDim1; ++U)
{
  for(V=0; V<Input.SizeDim2; ++V)
  {
    Input[U,V,Input.SizeDim3-1] = Input[U,V,0];
    for(W=0; W<Input.SizeDim3-1; ++W)
    {
       Input[U,V,W] = 0;
    }
  }
}
Events

Code: Select all

for(U=0; U<Input.SizeDim1; ++U)
{
  for(V=0; V<Input.SizeDim2; ++V)
  {
    if(Input[U,V,0] == 1 && Input[U,V,Input.SizeDim3-1] == 0){Input[U,V,1] = 1;}
    if(Input[U,V,0] == 0 && Input[U,V,Input.SizeDim3-1] == 1){Input[U,V,2] = 1;}
  }
}
Not only does this make your Project Tree less cluttered, it also gives you a performance boost of about 40%.

K
jph_wacheski

single slot input setup

Post by jph_wacheski »

I have started using this setup for all my input,. as it provides a greater detail with the OnPressed, OnReleased, and LastFrame info. However I did not have a use for the 'slots' (is that for a split-screen two player game?) so just to simpify it a bit, I hacked that part off,. . find this attached for those who are interested in the same.

Thanks for your logic work Kj!
Attachments
Input_single_slot.zip
.zgeproj
(1 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

Yea, you only need the additional dimension when your game supports more then one player, otherwise a 2D Array is sufficient.

By the way, there's a slight performance benefit when you're using local variables opposed to global. Also, when dealing with Keyboard / Joypad Button input, integers ( since booleans aren't supported ) are more appropriate then floats.

+ I use RST / UVW / XYZ variable combinations in relation to their according array dimensions, so for a 2D Array I'd go with U and V ( not V & W ) :wink:

K