Raycast

Share your ZGE-development tips and techniques here!

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

Raycast

Post by Kjell »

8)

For those that don't want to wait for BeRo's physics implementation .. a basic Raycast ( Ray VS Triangle ) Library. Use in combination with the Matrix Library when dealing with rotated objects.

*Since ZGE rounds off values with more then 3 decimals, 0.001 is the lowest Epsilon you can use .. ( otherwise you'd want to go with something like 0.00001 ).

*Returns the collision state / bool, so you have to pull out the variables to calculate the intersection point / normal yourself.

Code: Select all

void Sub(int K,
         float X1, float Y1, float Z1,
         float X2, float Y2, float Z2)
{
  Vector[K,0] = X1-X2;
  Vector[K,1] = Y1-Y2;
  Vector[K,2] = Z1-Z2;
}

//

void Cross(int K,
{
  Vector[K,0] = Y1*Z2-Z1*Y2;
  Vector[K,1] = Z1*X2-X1*Z2;
  Vector[K,2] = X1*Y2-Y1*X2;
}

//

float Dot(float X1, float Y1, float Z1,
{
  return X1*X2+Y1*Y2+Z1*Z2;
}

//

int RayTriangle(float OX, float OY, float OZ,
                float DX, float DY, float DZ,
                float X2, float Y2, float Z2,
                float X3, float Y3, float Z3)
{
  float R, S, T, U, V;

Sub(1,X2,Y2,Z2,X1,Y1,Z1);
  Sub(2,X3,Y3,Z3,X1,Y1,Z1);

Cross(3,DX,DY,DZ,Vector[2,0],Vector[2,1],Vector[2,2]);

R = Dot(Vector[1,0],Vector[1,1],Vector[1,2],Vector[3,0],Vector[3,1],Vector[3,2]);

Sub(4,OX,OY,OZ,X1,Y1,Z1);
  S = 1/R;

Cross(5,Vector[4,0],Vector[4,1],Vector[4,2],Vector[1,0],Vector[1,1],Vector[1,2]);

if(R <= Epsilon && R >= Epsilon*-1)
  {
    return 0;
  }
  else
  {
    if(R > Epsilon)
    {
      Debug = U;
      U = Dot(Vector[4,0],Vector[4,1],Vector[4,2],Vector[3,0],Vector[3,1],Vector[3,2]);
      if(U < 0 || U > R)
      {
        return 0;
      }

V = Dot(DX,DY,DZ,Vector[5,0],Vector[5,1],Vector[5,2]);
      if(V < 0 || U+V > R)
      {
        return 0;
      }
    }

if(R < Epsilon*-1)
    {
      U = Dot(Vector[4,0],Vector[4,1],Vector[4,2],Vector[3,0],Vector[3,1],Vector[3,2]);
      if(U > 0 || U < R)
      {
        return 0;
      }

V = Dot(DX,DY,DZ,Vector[5,0],Vector[5,1],Vector[5,2]);
      if(V > 0 || U+V < R)
      {
        return 0;
      }
    }
  }

T = Dot(Vector[2,0],Vector[2,1],Vector[2,2],Vector[5,0],Vector[5,1],Vector[5,2]);
  U *= S;
  V *= S;

return 1;
}
Attached is a simple example.

K
Attachments
Raycast.zgeproj
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

these look very interesiting,. Unfortunatly I am far from understanding how to use this tech.,. the Matrix one does not run here, so I am not sure what to even try there,. and this one runs and I see a ray oscilating back and forth cast through a triangle,. however looking at the code it appears that it is supposed to turn red when it intersects however it does not?

Perhaps with a bit more explanation and practical example or two, myself and others could find this very usefull,. . this is a prime candidate for being encapsilated into a component!

Thanks for posting it,. when I have the time/mental energy I will have a go at figuring out how to make use of it,. I am using this;

Code: Select all

if(this.Vertex.X > 0)
{
  this.Vertex.X = 1;
  this.Vertex.Y = 0;
}
to make trangles for my vector game when stuff shaters,. ;) it's the simple things that amuse me eh,.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

Strange .. I've attached a zip containing builds of both the Matrix and Raycast examples, can you check if those do work? Matrix should show a Quad rotating over all 3 axes with a indicator following one of the corners. Raycast shows a Ray oscillating over the X axis, pointing up ( Y ), changing length and turning red when it intersects the triangle positioned above.

The Raycast example is a bit of a hack actually, because you really want to use that function in combination with a Array of vertices ( but since this adds another layer of passing around variables, I thought it would be best to keep the example as simple as possible ).

*It's not that difficult to use though, the RayTriangle takes 15 arguments as you can see.

- Ray Origin X, Y, Z
- Ray Direction X, Y, Z
- Triangle Vertex 1 X, Y, Z
- Triangle Vertex 2 X, Y, Z
- Triangle Vertex 3 X, Y, Z

*Make sure to use counterclockwise direction.

K
Attachments
Examples.zip
(82.98 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Jph, also remember to use latest ZGE-release because Kjell found a couple of bugs in the script parser while working on this. The raycast-projects works here and the triangle turns red.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ahh, that is it then I should update my ZGE! cool,. see I was just quickly looking is all., . thanks for the extra info Kj I may get to understand it when I have a bit of time to mess around with it,. . looks quite useable really.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Can I ask you if you got it from somewhere, or what?
Since I tried to make one triangle-vs-ray collision today and I came up with the same exact code! :P The only different thing I came up with is tweaking the code to do a convex-polygon VS ray detection.
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Francesco,

Can't remember what references I used exactly, but this site ( pretty sure I posted this one before ) has links to information on all basic intersections. There are only a handful techniques you can use to pull of a Ray VS Tri intersection, so it's not strange that you ended up with the same solution :)

I tried to make this Library as basic / simple / understandable as possible. So once someone gets the hang of it, they can expand it to detect convex / concave sets of polygons, or ( something I do personally ) use a array containing a triangle list / strip / fan to pull all the data from ( and only pass the range of cells instead of individual vertices ) etc.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Just sticking this link here for posterity,. I will try to figure a way to use Kjells code eventually,. just notice this version and wanted to link it here in case anyone is interested,. .

http://www.cs.lth.se/home/Tomas_Akenine ... i/raytri.c
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:)

That's actually one of the examples I looked at when writing the library :wink:

K