Project Tree improvements

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Now comments in all dark color themes (Carbon, Graphite, Auric, ...) are unreadable. Ville, cannot you change it to the original color, the same as component name?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I've disabled this for now until we can find some good colors. Maybe we should have just two different comment colors, one for when the background is dark and one when it is light? If you can give me two colors (rgb values) I'll try it out.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

what about ( 255,162,0 ) and ( 0,181,18 ) ?
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

jonaspm wrote:what about ( 255,162,0) and ( 0,181,18 ) ?
This green color (0,181,18) is quite good for white as well for dark themes. It could be tried.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Just tested the new build, the green color really doesn't work too well for me.

Would it be possible to just have it the way it was before but with an option (maybe in preferences) to simply make comments look 50% transparent (middle color of what the theme is using for rendering Project Tree's background and text)? At 50% the contrast between the background and comments is still strong enough that they can be read, and the difference between comments and the first part of the Project Tree entry is strong enough to differentiate them.

This way it'd work with both bright and dark themes (they already use the opposite tonal values for rendering the text and the background). Even themes that use a say 80% black text on white background should work? And people who don't like it can turn it off if it were a preference setting.

If not, I think the old version worked better.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I've implemented your suggestion now (middle color between back and foreground). Please download beta again and try it out.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

I'm probably blind... I cannot see comments properly in any theme; especially in white themes which I prefer.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

After switching directly from the old build, it took me a slight bit to get used to, but I tried it with a few themes and I found it much easier to distinguish the "head" from the comments ("tail"?), especially with themes that use literal contrasts (100% vs 0%). My default Turquoise Gray uses a slightly lower contrats but it still works. Maybe the bright part needs a bit of tweaking (50% is maybe too transparent, maybe it should be 60%?) but that's fine tuning.

For me the biggest readability problem with uniform text rendering was constant scanning of the whole line while looking for the start of the comments. Now it is immediately obvious where the comments start so my eye can jump right to that point!

If this still causes problems for others I can't think of any better solution :( The only other thing that springs to mind is to use a thick bullet point to divide the name / comments parts (I saw it often used effectively by Japanese developers) but here it'd become messy as soon as one starts adding more comments so that wouldn't work...
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

rrTea wrote:If this still causes problems for others I can't think of any better solution :( The only other thing that springs to mind is to use a thick bullet point to divide the name / comments parts (I saw it often used effectively by Japanese developers) but here it'd become messy as soon as one starts adding more comments so that wouldn't work...
I use comments quite extensively in my projects; and if used, they bring usually more important information that e.g. type of the component for me. That's why I'm interesting in this, virtually unimportant, topic.

But what about to add a settings item for color of comments to ZGE? Everybody could use own color, depending on the preferred theme; as already suggested. Ville?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

New attempt: 75% mix. Gives some contrast while still always readable here.

A user setting would be best of course, but I want to avoid it if I can simply because it means more work, and I'm lazy when it comes to user interface changes :)
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

I'm also using comments quite extensively, that's why it bothered me that I have to scan the whole line instead of jumping immediately to what I'm looking for (in most cases the comment) :-D

Today I worked in ZGE for a few hours with the 50% blend and after a while I got seriously used to it... as if it were always like that! I feel like this is definitely an improvement over the old version.

(Still didn't manage to download the "75%" build!)

VilleK: If it is a bit impractical to implement the full blown customization options etc, maybe just a tickbox in the preferences so it can be turned off?
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

I'm fine with 75%.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

VilleK wrote:...I'm lazy when it comes to user interface changes :)
But the unique IDE is such a big part of ZGE ^^;;; (and I had one other suggestion regarding interface)

Sorry for being such a pedant, maybe it's my occupational disease but... 75% transparency is inconsistent with some other parts of the interface, for example with the "Add component" window (which uses the "correct / standard" tonal values for text division).

Also with bright themes, when performing the jump from say Preview window to Project Tree it's a bit hard to immediately distinguish between the "head" and the comment if they're just 25% different: it looks as if there were a mistake in rendering, not a deliberate separation between the two.

Edit: I found a theme that works well for me (for some reason Lavender theme renders the comments brigther than some other themes), so I'm happy!
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

...but after trying to use it for some two weeks I still can't get used to it.

Other than in "Lavender Classico"* the values for the comments are slightly off, but the gray color that is used as a base in this theme is too dark.

*(and "Auric", but that is a dark theme)
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

rrTea wrote:...but after trying to use it for some two weeks I still can't get used to it.
What about to return the comment color to the original color of component name? It's readable and worked for some years quite well.