Import 3DS meshes without faces/edges

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Import 3DS meshes without faces/edges

Post by Rado1 »

Importing a 3DS mesh without faces causes crash of ZGE (access violation, read of address 00000000). It would be nice that also meshes having just vertices can be imported and managed in ZGE; maybe more optimally than meshes with faces. This makes sense especially in the case when materials use Point shading. Testing 3DS file is attached.
Attachments
ball.zip
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Kjell

Re: Import 3DS meshes without faces/edges

Post by Kjell »

Hi Rado1,

The 3DS file format only supports triangle meshes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.3ds#Shortcomings

I tried importing your 3DS file in a number of applications, and all of them threw a error .. so i suspect the file is invalid ( by 3DS standards ).

K
Rado1

Re: Import 3DS meshes without faces/edges

Post by Rado1 »

Aha... I created it in Blender and Blender was able to import it back, so I thought it's correct. But if not, of course, this request makes no sense.

BTW in meantime, I created own file format for vertex-based meshes (it stores list of vertex position, normal and color), converter from ZGE meshes to that format, and dynamic importer of mesh files to ZGE, so now I can create own vertex arrays (VBOs) and do not use ZGE meshes which draw a single vertex several times...