Pixel Perfect Wireframe -setting?

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Pixel Perfect Wireframe -setting?

Post by jph_wacheski »

I really like the wireframe mode in the editor,. AND I also do like the current wireframe mode in the engine wirth its thicker lines,. however the Pixel Perfect editor mode is something I would quite like to use in game,. perhaps a PPwireframe mode could be added to the materials pulldown or perhaps (even better) a Wire Thickness Value could be added somewhere,. I could use a whole range of thinknesses really. A global would be useable however, a per-material value would be much nicer!
I realise this is likely possible to achieve this with pixel shaders,. however since I can see it done right now in the editor I know it is possible to do with out them,. just a tought. obviously not a priority.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej jph,

I actually changed this in my personal ZGE build already :) But it should be a piece of cake to add a WireframeWidth property to the Material component. The default wireframe width is set to 4 right now ( if I recall correctly ). Why? Ask Ville :P

K
jph_wacheski

drat,. I should set that up here. ,

Post by jph_wacheski »

hummm,. guess I have to stop building games for a bit and get the source setup on my system,. eh. Perhaps I would be able to make heads or tails of some of it,. . and make little test changes like that one.
Thanks Kjell,. some times I need a good kick in the arse I suppose.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I don't remember why I set it to 4 :) . But sure a WireframeWidth property is easy to add so I will make it for next release.

The trouble with wireframe in general is that (at least earlier) some graphics drivers do not accelerate wireframe at all (because it is so rarely used in games, the mainstream user wants photorealism), instead they fall back to slow software mode.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

oh really? that is a drag, . is limited use ok? how slow would that b? guess its just a cmpatability issue and like most things some folks would get bad performance,. . I'll run some tests here to see if i notice a drop in performance,. although my card is relativly new,. but middle of the road.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

It was my friend Peter the graphics card expert who told me this a year ago, and he said that wireframe should be made with shaders instead. But I'm not sure how the situation is today. Performance of wireframe seems good enough on my two computers (nvidia and intel onboard).