ZGameEditor for Pandora Open System

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

stevenp

ZGameEditor for Pandora Open System

Post by stevenp »

This is one of the coolest new gadgets out. It would be awesome if ZGameEditor could be updated to include output for this system. It uses an ARM processor and has a DSP and dedicated 3D graphic chip:
http://www.openpandora.org/

Blog for videos:
http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php

Forum:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showforum=61
jph_wacheski

cool

Post by jph_wacheski »

wow,. must say I want one! I would love to dev. games for a set bit of hardware, as with current PCs there are so many compatibility issues,. that looks sweet with the small size and built in game controles,. . I will have to find one to get a hands on,. .
iterationGAMES.com
stevenp

Post by stevenp »

I've tried some of your games and I must say I love your style. Any chance of a tutorial from you?
jph_wacheski

tutorials

Post by jph_wacheski »

I have been considering writing some little tutorials to help ppl get started in ZGE as I have spent quite a bit of time working with it now.., I do however have some time limitations,. so it will have to wait a bit longer till I am able to do a good job on it;

Do have a look at these simple samples after Ville's tut.s to get started;

viewtopic.php?t=102
or
viewtopic.php?t=275

plus going throught the forums you will find many little examples and learn more,. .
iterationGAMES.com
stevenp

Post by stevenp »

Thanks, I'll do that.
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

LOL! :D Actually I've bought a Pandora myself :)

Yes I have thought about using ZGE with the Pandora and posted it on their forum, but no (almost) no replies about it.

There's quite a good chance, but I know nothing about how much difficult would porting the runtime to OpenGL ES 2.0 via SDL, but I think should be more than doable.
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
stevenp

Post by stevenp »

kattle87 wrote:LOL! :D Actually I've bought a Pandora myself :)
:cry: I have to wait until next batch. I'm definitely getting one then, though. 8)
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Has anyone got one yet??
iterationGAMES.com
jph_wacheski

How about the new Caanoo?

Post by jph_wacheski »

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t ... on-thread/

I have ordered one,. wundering if it will be posible to get limited ZGE games to run on it, any thoughts?
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The Caanoo looks very nice. Please post some pics when you receive yours.

The only info I have about development is this:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/FPC4GP2X

Since Pascal and SDL are available it should be possible to port ZGE to it.
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Hi,

the pandora is just a great idea! But I think it would be rather complicated to just get one down here :)

I just received a iphone as a birthday present, and started to mess with it, and I have to tell you I MISS ZGE A LOT!!!

I forgot how slow is the "normal" process of developing anything, just programming, compiling, simulating, debugging cycle is slooow (and I realize how rusty I am at opengl and then remembering is not opengl, just opengles :) )

It make me remember that ZGE rocks!

Regarding porting ZGE (player.bin I guess) to other platforms, I know there's a thread somewhere in this forum about to port it the Iphone,
but It think (IMHO) that there is a common effort to port it to pandora or the iphone (opengles migration, etc), also I know there would be platform specifics issues (and iphone (un)locking) , but I think we could organize ourselves in order to help to do the ports.

You can count me in.
(I think I have to take a look at http://wiki.freepascal.org/iPhone/iPod_development first :) )

Lupo.
Close, but not there yet.
jph_wacheski

Got one!

Post by jph_wacheski »

Ok I got a Caanoo! I quite like it so far, some issues; The sholder buttons are not great,. and the I and II buttons as well,. these have almost no play. They work fine, but you feel almost no movement to them,. luckely the stick and main buttons are very nice,. and the touch screen seems good. Not sure if it is as accurate as a DS but there is not a lot of software to try yet,. but it will work for many things I'm sure,. also the besel around the screen covers a few rows/collums of pixels,. only noticable on some mame games that use all the screen,. the screen is very bright and a tad larger than a DS screen.

I have been playing Mame stuff,. robotron, defender, joust, etc. some newer mame stuff, and a bunch of old Genesis games,. all working very well,. I will report more in a bit,.

I would recomend it so far at the price,. especialy if we can get a build of the zge runner to work! Yeah we should work together on getting an OpenGL ES version going and see how many places it ends up.
Attachments
sitting on one of the machines I'm retrofitting,.. .
sitting on one of the machines I'm retrofitting,.. .
caanoo_vs_arcade.jpg (252.78 KiB) Viewed 17176 times
just so you know it's me,.  . in fuzzy face deadline mode no less!
just so you know it's me,. . in fuzzy face deadline mode no less!
jph_with_caanoo.jpg (51.14 KiB) Viewed 17176 times
iterationGAMES.com