music score

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

berserk

music score

Post by berserk »

what about adding a simple music score composer for the playsound component?
berserk

sorry

Post by berserk »

sorry, I should have been checked out better, there's already such a feature in zge. How do i put a pause?
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

on the same note :P I was thinking if we had scripting access to

Octave

on/off auto play

and assuming the buffer is big enough for a pattern in the sequencer, we could put in some tunes.

Not saying I'm a composer
BUT
I have a large collection of out of copyright sheet music - tunes before your mother was born, that most people have forgotten.
Last edited by y offs et on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"great expectations"
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Change the assigned keys from :

a s d f g h j k

to :

...w e ..t y u
..a s d f g h j

That puts the sharps in the right place and makes a full octave.
"great expectations"
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The sequence editor in the sound editor is basically just for trying the sound out in the designer. I haven't thought before about that it could perhaps be useful for something more. We could add a button that converts the current sequence to a Music-component that can be played in runtime. Changing the keys to make an octave is a good idea too.
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

It's almost impossible to find a tune that plays completely within one octave. Here's 4 bars of what must be a two hundred year old tune.
It shows what happens when you try to use 0 as a pause in an array of notes.
Attachments
CUPOFTEA.jpg
CUPOFTEA.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 17458 times
4Bars_CupOfTea.zip
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
"great expectations"
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

uh oh, I had a radical thought.

It's a shame that the sound/global mixer boards appear in the same window as the preview screen, because when you lock App, the boards disappear behind(?) so you can't change values in real time.

Now, if the boards appeared in the script window ... :)

EDIT:

... and also, then the preview screen would be available for synchronous dev along with the sound.
Last edited by y offs et on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"great expectations"
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Here is an improvement using the latest ZGE update with a full octave keys available.
Copy the second string of lowercase letters, including the spaces at the beginning, and paste into the pattern/sequence box of the sound board.
Slide the tempo to the end right (doesn't save) and check the Auto play.

It could still be a little faster, but that's all there is.
If we could feed the sequencer from ZExpression strings instead of this paste,
we could then cut up the strings and place note length changes, octave changes, etc. in the cuts.
Attachments
4Bars_CupOfTea_2.zip
(75.16 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
"great expectations"
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Here is the complete Cup of Tea done with one instrument, exported from MuseScore in standard music .xml.
I went looking for applications to generate graphics from it. I found enormous amounts of apps to generate sounds from graphics, but virtually nothing for the other way around.

Ideas, anyone?

EDIT -

...Ahem ... ModPlay :oops:
Attachments
CUPOFTEA.zip
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
"great expectations"
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

I have always problem with Sound editor which it is not synchronized with sound Properties in real time. Only when properties of another component are displayed and then returned back to a Sound component its Properties display the last values from Sound editor. When I started to use ZGE I used to change values of properties and also their corresponding widgets simultaneously and then I had no clue which value will be accepted for the final sound. This may also a problem for new users. Cannot the properties of Sound component either be synchronized with the corresponding widgets of sound editor in real time or alternatively removed at all?

Another problem is real-time "composition" of the sequence string: if focused on the Sequence text (combo box) and pressed a/w/s/e/d... key, only the sound is played, but the pressed letter does not appear. Now, a user must create the pattern elsewhere then copy/paste it to the Sequence text, if something wrong, do it again, and again, and again... too cumbersome. Accidentally (mostly when switched to ZGE from another application), I can achieve the state when letters of played notes appear also in the Sequence text, but I do not know how to achieve it intentionally.

Idea: what about to allow changing of octaves in pattern string, e.g., by usage of numbers (0-9 or 00 - 99?) to represent the octave for the following notes? By default, the selected Octave is used. This would be extremely useful in conjunction with the possibility to generate Music component from pattern.
y offs et wrote:Now, if the boards appeared in the script window ... :)
Very good idea!
y offs et wrote:Here is the complete Cup of Tea done with one instrument, exported from MuseScore in standard music .xml.
I went looking for applications to generate graphics from it. I found enormous amounts of apps to generate sounds from graphics, but virtually nothing for the other way around.

Ideas, anyone?
I'm not sure what you meant by graphics, but I did one experiment: I used GuitarPro to load your XML file, then exported as MIDI, loaded to OpenMPT and copied patterns to text editor where I find/replaced all notes by characters from ZGE's sound Sequence, pasted to Sequence and played. Not so bad, but I would rather prefer to import MIDI to Music component directly :-)
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Another small improvement would be adding tempo also for pattern auto play in Sound component, similarly to Music component. Now I must generate Music component each time I want to check correctness of pattern written in different tempo.

See also some bugs of the current implementation. You will find there a demo project which uses translated Cup of Tea. As described earlier, I used OpenMPT and text editor. To ease translation from OpenMPT to text format I created a macro in OpenOffice which does all the translation. Attached you will find MPTtoZGE.odt document containing the macro. Just copy all patterns of one channel from OpenMPT to the document and run MPTtoZGE/Standard/OpenMPT_to_ZGE macro which gives you the corresponding ZGE pattern string you copy/paste to Sound component.
Attachments
MPTtoZGE.zip
OpenMPT to ZGE sound pattern translator
(11.51 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Last edited by Rado1 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Rado1 wrote:Idea: what about to allow changing of octaves in pattern string, e.g., by usage of numbers (0-9 or 00 - 99?) to represent the octave for the following notes? By default, the selected Octave is used. This would be extremely useful in conjunction with the possibility to generate Music component from pattern.
In one of my experiments with music I exported some samples from Windows MIDI sound library (GM.DLS), generated some more by VST instruments/effects, converted to RAW, imported to ZGE by SampleImport, and used in Sound + Music components. For all of them, to sound similarly to the original samples, I had to use octave up to 10 (12-14).

Therefore, I have to correct my previous suggestion: (1) either to use 00 - 99 or (2) to use the existing Octave setting as the base (lowest possible) octave and numbers from 0-9 as additions to that octave. 0 for the selected base octave, 1 for one octave up, etc. 10 octaves for one composition with one sound must suffice. I would prefer the option (2) which is also simpler for implementation.

But I'm not sure we want to transform the Sound component to a simple tracker.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

rado1- try the sound's BaseNoteNr setting to fix those high octaves when using samples,.

ok, I just tried the new version, with this feature, and it is usable for small melodies,. I can not figure how to type directly in the notes pull-down, but notepad++ is easy enough to type and past it in,. I will use it for little melodies in games for sure,. I would rather see a little midi editor built into the zge editor, with bit more features,. but something is often better than nothing,. anyway with the SunVox integration, the point seems moot anyhow. The full tracker with variable machine node setup is roc! (thanks Rado1!)
iterationGAMES.com
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

jph_wacheski wrote:rado1- try the sound's BaseNoteNr setting to fix those high octaves when using samples,.
Thanks, I completely forgot/overlooked this property :? Of course it works fine.
jph_wacheski wrote:I would rather see a little midi editor built into the zge editor
Importing MIDI to Music component would be sufficient. There are many good and free MIDI editors or music editors with MIDI export.