Porting of ZGE to Raspberry PI

ZGE Source Code discussion. Ask questions, present your changes, propose patches etc.

Moderator: Moderators

overclocked

Porting of ZGE to Raspberry PI

Post by overclocked »

Hi everybody,

I haven't looked a the source code that implements the x86 Linux ZGE engine but though I'd ask instead. Would it be possible to get a version that can run these nice stuff on a Raspberry PI runing Linux? Or maybe even native booting directly from SD-Card? :-)

I've bought a RPI some months ago to fiddle with and it's just a great inexpensive little platform.

Some stuff that I've got working is playing MAME emulator games using PS3-controller via Bluetooth.

The RPI consists of a 700Mhz ARM (overclockable to 1Ghz) and a quite capable Open GL ES compatible graphics core. Runs among other things Raspian (Linux Debian port) just fine and of course a very nice XBMC port showing 1080p movies no sweat.

With the port for Android using open GL ES and the x86 Linux port already there...

Best regards
Magnus
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi Magnus,

Yes, should be possible. I assume there is a port of SDL working for the platform. Currently the ZGE Linux source assumes x86 CPU, so one would have to switch around the IFDEFs in the source a bit so that it uses the ARM bits written for Android in some places.

I don't have time to look at it myself at the moment though. But if anyone volunteers I'll be happy to assist! It is indeed a very neat little device.

/Ville