Porting ZGE's Editor

ZGE Source Code discussion. Ask questions, present your changes, propose patches etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
jazz
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 am

Porting ZGE's Editor

Post by jazz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi,

I would like to contribute to ZGE by making a cross-platform GUI for ZGE. I was wondering if any other users were interested in attempting to port ZGE's editor to a cross-platform solution?

I'm currently considering the language and GUI toolkit to be used. If anyone with GUI experience have suggestions or would like to contribute it will be greatly appreciated, as I'm new to GUI development.

My current thoughts thoughts thus far, is to used Ville's work for the back-end and use wxPython for the front-end. In addition, I would like to make the GUI a Nodal Logic design, similar to vvvv. Found source code of a similar design shaderman.

Any thoughts would or guidance would be great. Ville has already gave me his thoughts.

User avatar
Kjell
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Porting ZGE's Editor

Post by Kjell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi jazz,
jazz wrote:I would like to contribute to ZGE by making a cross-platform GUI for ZGE. I was wondering if any other users were interested in attempting to port ZGE's editor to a cross-platform solution?
In theory, yes :)
jazz wrote:I'm currently considering the language and GUI toolkit to be used. If anyone with GUI experience have suggestions or would like to contribute it will be greatly appreciated, as I'm new to GUI development.
Lazarus seems like the most obvious choice .. i don't have much ( non-OpenGL / Direct3D ) GUI experience either though.
jazz wrote:In addition, I would like to make the GUI a Nodal Logic design, similar to vvvv.
Huge fan of "visual" programming myself .. especially in Virtools and Softimage.

K

jazz
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 am

Re: Porting ZGE's Editor

Post by jazz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Kjell wrote:Hi jazz,In theory, yes :)
wow, nice.
Kjell wrote:Lazarus seems like the most obvious choice .. i don't have much ( non-OpenGL / Direct3D ) GUI experience either though.
Yeah, that's another reason I want to participate in such a project, improve skill set. Lazarus, does seem like the obvious choice, didn't mention it because of my lack of knowledge of the Pascal language. More familiar with c/c++ ,c#, java, python, and java script. But Pascal can be a new venture.
Kjell wrote:Huge fan of "visual" programming myself .. especially in Virtools and Softimage.
Agreed.

User avatar
y offs et
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: BC, Canada

Post by y offs et » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:21 pm

If there was a plus 1 button, I would have hit it.

Learning the shortcut keys in Lazarus is a big help in dealing with Pascals verbosity and strict logic.
"great expectations"

User avatar
jonaspm
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Contact:

Post by jonaspm » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:42 am

I would be interested too! Thanks for that nice offer :)

Also, let me suggest you the Ecere SDK for the development, it's just a suggestion, do the job as YOU want n.n

Code: Select all

The Ecere SDK is a Software Development Kit including:
An elegant, easy to learn, C style object oriented programming language: eC
A light, fast and flexible cross-platform GUI toolkit.
An IDE including a code editor, visual object designer, project management and debugger.
A powerful 2D/3D graphics engine.
Libraries for networking, file access, databases, multithreading and much more.
www.ecere.com

The Ecere SDK uses the eC language, which is C but:

Code: Select all

eC adds object oriented features to C
Everything you can do in C, you can still do in eC.
You can link in C modules or libraries, include C header files.
No more need for header files or prototypes: modern import mechanism.
I am learning to use it, but I am already liking it :D

Post Reply