Wii U

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Wii U

Post by VilleK »

I bought a Wii U yesterday. Mainly to (re)play Mario and Zelda games because those are what I most strongly associate with Nintendo and console games in general :). Anyone else here has one and can recommend any other titles worth checking out?
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

I'm planning on getting one too! I already have a shopping list long enough to keep me busy for a few years :D
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

I got one! Been a Nintendo fan through and through for many years now. :) Just soo high quality and perfectly tweaked gameplay in pretty much everything they do.

My must-try list of retail, apart from all with Mario, Zelda and Nintendo in their title, would be :

Pikmin 3 (Among my favorite games. Beatiful, cute and with elements of everything. Also among the best 2p co-op I've played)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Amazing quality and attention to detail)
The Wonderful 101 (Takes a while getting used to, but terribly entertaining afterwards)
Game & Wario (Mostly just small innovative games, but also very fun in multiplayer)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Great thought-provocing story)
Mass Effect 3 (Epic space-opera, really good story)
Batman: Arkham City (Atmospheric and intense)
Rayman Legends (Beautiful 2D graphics and many cool ideas)
LEGO City Undercover (Soo much more fun than it might seem at first)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Highly imaginative and fun)
Wii Sports Club (Even better than the originals)

Maybe also, depending on taste :
Zombie U (Hard and unforgiving, but with some interesting ideas)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Good balance between arcade and simulation racing)
Injustice: Gods among us (Well-tuned fighting for comic fans)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Takes looooong to get into, but rewarding and fun online)

And for downloadable eShop titles :
The Cave (Cool story and well-balanced adventuring)
Stick it to the Man (Really great and different adventure)
NES Remix 1 & 2 (A cool way to relive classics, in arcade-sized bits)
Nano Assault Neo (Perfect arcade shooter with really good graphics)
Child of Light (Beautiful and serene rpg)
Guacamelee! (Hard but rewarding metroidvania adventure)
Wii Karaoke U (Thousands of songs = perfect game-night)
Trine 2 (Beautiful and clever)
Art of Balance (Best puzzle game I've played)

Also depending on taste :
DuckTales: Remasterad (If you've played/like the NES original)
Spin the Bottle: Bumpies Party (Requires loads of people)

Just received Bayonetta 1 & 2 today too. Can't comment yet, but I believe they are both pretty much perfect games if you can stand some rather silly and sexist content here and there.)

Can tell more about them if you want! :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Wow, thanks for making that list :). I will be sure to use it as a reference when I look for games. They all sound interesting.

I really enjoyed Rayman Legends on the ps3 and feel like playing more games with similar gameplay style. I'll probably go for Mario 3d World and Tropical Freeze first.

I notice that the retail games are also available on eShop although they look like they will occupy most of the 32gig storage. Perhaps I need an external usb storage too (if that works for downloaded games).
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:)

Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Forgot to answer this. :) External storage, be it flash-drive or harddisk, works great for downloaded games. I have heard of one indie-game loading slightly slower on external drives, but that was solved in a patch, so it shoulnt be any problems.

Also, Captain Toad looks really fun and cute! :D
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yeah, Captain Toad looks real nice :). European launch date in January apparently. Too bad, it would be fun to play during Christmas holidays.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

I forgot to post my wish list the previous time, so here it is!

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Already have this on MAME (it's a port of an arcade game by Capcom), but playing it on the computer just doesn't feel right, so I'll get it on Wii U. A fantastic game, even better in multiplayer. "The graphics and music have become dated", say reviewers who don't know what is good when it's in front of their nose. (Video.)

Bayonetta Pack
This one I haven't played yet but it looks fun, funny, ridiculous, good looking, fast, cold, passionate, furious, slick and so on - all at the same time.

Pikmin (Wii versions)
According to yours truly, probably the best game in the world (I already have it on GC). It has everything: beautiful graphics (on the verge of being too sweet but still under control), fantastic game mechanics (genius dynamics between macro and micro management, pre-set but super emergent design, demands use of both brain and skills) and so on. It's also a philosophical and arty game, much more so (and infinitely more mature) than any other game usually being labelled as such. People complain about the time limit in the first installment but in most cases it's a complaint out of principle: the time limit has a role that becomes obvious if you actually play the game - and it was removed in later installments anyway. The multiplayer part also looks fun but I haven't had a chance to play it enough to see whether it works for me.

Wonderful101
Wasn't that well received but I might like it. As a side note, "Iwata asks" about it is great, the parts where they grill Kamiya (Hideki, the director - a real character) is hilarious. When reading the first part some of Iwata's questions flew a bit over my head, he was too smooth so it probably got lost both in transcription and in translation and I took it literally, but Kamiya probably felt it during the interview (in the second part, when the rest of W101 team joins the interview, he starts by saying "I feel a little better with more allies.", "Everyone laughs").

Super Smash:
hee...

ZombiU
Apparently it's not very good / half finished but it has some good ideas, I might grab it if I can find it cheap.

Fatal Frame
I'm just curious about this one.

Kirby, Yoshi, Luigi
I enjoyed every one of their games I have (on GB/GBA, GC), so I'm probably going to get the Wii U installments too. All look fantastic!

Nano Assault NEO
Looks like my kind of game. (Video!)

Zelda Wind Waker HD
I didn't like WW the first time I played it, but now it's one of my favorite games. The HD remake is supposed to have even more stuff in it! "Iwata Asks" about it is a very interesting read too.

Other games I'm likely to get if I can find them cheap:
Batman: Arkham this and that; Call of Duty; WatchDogs; Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12; DeusEx; Guacamelee; Darksiders 2; Tank! Tank! Tank!; LEGO this and that (City Undercover is supposed to be great); Splinter Cell; Warriors Orochi; Ninja Gaiden; Resident Evil; PacMan; DarkSiders; Mighty Switch Force; The Smurfs, Rayman.

Not out yet but I'm keeping an eye on:
Mario Maker, Captain Toad, Mighty No. 9, Hyper Light Drifter, Splatoon, Starfox.

Also there are so many games on VirtualConsole / eShop!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I see Captain Toad is out and I'm tempted to buy it. Anyone tried it yet?
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

I have ordered it, but not yet received it. Will post a comment once I have tried it!

I really like the cute but awesome graphics as well as the exploration-puzzle gameplay I've seen in trailers, so it seems promising!
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Sorry for taking a while getting back to you, but now I have finished most of Captain Toad, so I can give a short verdict. :)

First of all, the game is indeed very cute, clever and enjoyable. This is just as much Nintendo magic as the Mario-games. Levels are varied, filled with fun challenges and the graphics are amazing. It is a bit on the easy side, and didn't take long to complete. But there are also plenty of more challenging secrets to find, so it will probably last for a while.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yes, I bought it the other day too. I agree, it is very charming and very much Nintendo quality! I finished "Episode 1" which I assume is about half of the game, and is now playing Episode 2. Also some bonus levels appear if you have a Mario 3d World save game which is nice.
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

A while ago I tried the Splatoon testfire, and the game is exceptionally fun to play! If it keeps getting new maps, tournaments, game-modes, etc for free as well as have an active player-base, this will be amazing! Pure, un-complicated fun with perfect controls and a brilliant concept.

If you have a Wii U you can try it tomorrow night, they will have another testfire then : http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Also, Affordable Space Adventures is really fun, especially in co-op. The combination of puzzle, exploration and ship-tweaking was really my thing.
http://affordablespaceadventures.com/
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Wii U

Post by VilleK »

Anyone else playing Yoshi's Woolly World? It didn't get great reviews but I'm finding it really enjoyable :). I'd rate it higher than Tropical Freeze.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4pH7Eik7B4[/youtube]
Imerion

Re: Wii U

Post by Imerion »

Yes, playing it now as well, and also enjoying it a lot! Perfect control, great art direction, and a lot harder than I had anticipated. I'm playing together with my spouse, and working together to get all hidden stuff us really fun. :)

Also, for those who haven't seen http://fast.shinen.com/neo/, it's worth a look! Perhaps my most anticipated Wii U game for the moment after the new Zelda. I've always had a thing for futuristic racers, and this looks both incredibly fun and totally amazing graphics-wise.