Windows 10 free upgrade ??

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Windows 10 free upgrade ??

Post by jph_wacheski »

to upgrade or not?

I am happy with my win7 machine,. should I take the bait and move to 10?

I have used 8.1 on a laptop and found it confusing and annoying,.
Is 10 really the one OS to rule them all? (phone, tablet, tv-box, desktop)

Will ZGE projects just work?

thoughts appreciated,.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. I still use Windows 7 and plan to skip Windows 8 and move directly to Windows 10. Anyone tried the Windows 10 beta with ZGE?
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

Was the upgrade free, or just free for a year? Heard both versions.
10 seems like a step up from 8, but if I did use Windows I would probably still stick with 7 as long as it is supported. I have had loads of trouble with 8 and 8.1 at work...
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

It seem the free upgrade is permanent, however you have a year limited window to actually do it. I suppose they are attempting to push as many ppl as as they can get into their shinny new system.

I may just wait till I get something like this to try 10;
http://liliputing.com/2015/06/ecs-intro ... chips.html

small, quiet, loads of in/outputs, power enough, yet low power draw. .

I recently acquired one of these; http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmar ... 31614.html

and it is handy for me to have on my TV,. for web, and few apps,. my OUYA alternative.
I would like to develop some games/music apps for this, however I still have not been able to get ANT to build ZGE stuff for me. no idea why? at least with a windows TVbox I can develop stuff I want to use on it,.
iterationGAMES.com
Imerion

Post by Imerion »

It seem the free upgrade is permanent, however you have a year limited window to actually do it. I suppose they are attempting to push as many ppl as as they can get into their shinny new system.
That's nice of them! This was a bit worrying though : http://www.osnews.com/story/28605/Is_Windows_10_ready_
I would like to develop some games/music apps for this, however I still have not been able to get ANT to build ZGE stuff for me. no idea why? at least with a windows TVbox I can develop stuff I want to use on it,.
Which OS are you using now? I did something with ANT to make it work on Linux in Wine together with ZGE. Don't remember what, but if you are in a similar situation I might be able to figure it out again. :)
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I just tested ZGameEditor on the Windows 10 preview and it seems to work fine. See huge image below:
Attachments
zge_screendump.PNG
zge_screendump.PNG (995.53 KiB) Viewed 33627 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:I just tested ZGameEditor on the Windows 10 preview and it seems to work fine.
Yikes at that 150% desktop scaling :( Does Delphi support DPI awareness? Lazarus does, so i suspect Delphi does as well ..

+ Shouldn't App.FileVersion be read-only?

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi Kjell,

FileVersion is readonly, I've fixed that since posting the screenshot.

The Windows 10 install defaulted to the 150% scaling on my computer but I didn't find that particularly disturbing with the ZGE UI. What specifically is it that you react on?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:The Windows 10 install defaulted to the 150% scaling on my computer but I didn't find that particularly disturbing with the ZGE UI. What specifically is it that you react on?
Since windows scales the ( client region of the ) application, everything ends up looking blurry .. in particular text ( sub-pixel rendering doesn't scale properly to begin with ) and the preview window ( your 2960x1684 viewport is only being rendered at 1973x1123 ).

It's basically the difference between ..

.. and ..

Make sure to watch these images ( taken from the Lazarus wiki ) at native resolution .. if you have desktop / some-kind-of scaling enabled the bottom example will still look blurry obviously.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I see. I forgot about that, I thought it was only OS X that performed client region scaling in retina modes.

I found this link with lots of info: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8296 ... r-than-100

Calling the SetProcessDPIAware Windows API function on startup makes the scaling go away but then the fonts in the project tree etc. become too small to read. So it will take some more effort to properly handle highi-dpi resolutions. Hopefully I will have time to do this soon.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,
VilleK wrote:Hopefully I will have time to do this soon.
Take your time! I doubt many users are using a 4K screen as of yet ( or some configuration that makes them use desktop scaling ). Besides, this behavior isn't exactly uncommon either .. in fact, most applications still aren't DPI aware.

K