KJell,Ville,Rado - Vulkan API?

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

StevenM

KJell,Ville,Rado - Vulkan API?

Post by StevenM »

I know Vulkan is really new, but support for Vulkan is moving fast, and it looks like it will replace OpenGL. With all the hype going on about VulKan - just curious about your thoughts, and whether or not it will be worth the effort to use Vulkan in the ZGameeditor.

This general overview of VulKan outlines some advantages over OpenGL:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLzz3OOl3A[/youtube]

This benchmark Vulkan vs GLES is pretty impressive:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_I8an8jXuM[/youtube]
Kjell

Re: KJell,Ville,Rado - Vulkan API?

Post by Kjell »

Hi StevenM,
StevenM wrote:I know Vulkan is really new, but support for Vulkan is moving fast, and it looks like it will replace OpenGL. With all the hype going on about VulKan - just curious about your thoughts, and whether or not it will be worth the effort to use Vulkan in the ZGameeditor.
Super excited about Vulkan, already dabbled around with it ... but no, it won't replace OpenGL ( anytime soon ) and i don't think it's worth the effort to add Vulkan support to ZGE.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

From what I've seen of Vulcan so far it is a low level API primarily directed to driver/OS/large game engine developers. And since it is more low level than OpenGL there will always be a GL-driver available for all platforms using Vulcan (because you can implement a GL-driver in Vulcan). For me personally I think OpenGL has become too complicated already (with all extensions and different variations for doing the same thing), and if there is an API to replace it then it should be something that is more easy to use instead of more complicated like Vulcan.
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Super excited about Vulkan,
I am too, Mantle never really took off and my computers are both AMD's. So Hoping to see some AAA games supporting Vulkan in the future. I'm glad to see Vulkan has some momentum - seems like a good move by AMD. My hope was that getting it into ZGE would be worth the effort - but from your reply, i'm guessing that it's a pretty hard thing to do.