64bit win7 system build, suggestions?

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

64bit win7 system build, suggestions?

Post by jph_wacheski »

I have decided to build a win7 system,. as my XP box is getting rather dated.

Here is what I am considering;

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/pcbuilderp ... 1-0|7843-0

Looks middle of the road,. or high-end of the low-end perhaps,.

I am planing to pull the vidcard from here and go back to the old 7600gs on this XP box and run the HD 5770 on the new machine. So a possible upgrade there latter,.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has looked into system building recently and is up on all the new sht,. and could give any insights. Thanks.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

I'd probably go with a Intel Core i7-2600K instead of the i5-2500K and drop the SSD for now. You can't upgrade a processor ( unless you replace it ), while adding a SSD is a easy way to speed up your system in the future ( when prices go down a bit more .. so you can get something a bit bigger then 60GB ).

Edit - Actually apparently the differences between the i7-2600K and i5-2500K are minimal. Still think a 60GB SSD is on the small side though ..

Good luck :)

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah I thought about it however, the i7 seems to mainly enable the hyper-threading,. and some ppl seem to claim to have worse performance with it,. . for games anyway. Four 3.3ghz cores/threads is still a considerable improvement over my current two core 2.1 ghz system,.

I also have 640gb sata2 drive on the list for 'data',. plus we have an external drive for dvd dumps and such kicking around the house,. so the idea is that the 60gb is just for the OS and main apps,. (not that ZGE takes any time to load up ;) ) I hear win7 takes around 10gb,. so plenty of room for my everyday apps,.

I am still looking at reviews and info,. for all this gear., so may change still.
iterationGAMES.com