MeshImport

Found a bug? Post information about it here so we can fix it!

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

MeshImport

Post by Kjell »

:!:

Even though this is a known bug, due to the recent resurgence of flat-shaded 3D i figured i might draw some attention to it again.

When importing a mesh that has flat-shaded polygons, its normals are ( often ) generated incorrectly. For instance, here's what happens when you create a Box in MilkShape ..

.. and then export it as .3ds file & import it into ZGameEditor.

As you can see some of the normals are incorrect. And just for the record, when you import the .3ds file back into MilkShape the normals are just fine.

K
airpas

Post by airpas »

you're right , i tested with blender , show wrong normals
Attachments
ZGE.jpg
ZGE.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi airpas,

Do keep in mind that Blender ( just like most 3D applications ) uses normals, while the .3ds format uses smoothing groups instead. This means that there's a additional conversion step when you're exporting from Blender where things can go wrong.

So that's why i specifically went with MilkShape to demonstrate the bug, since it's one of the few applications that does use smoothing groups instead of normals.

K
fracteed

Post by fracteed »

I also ran into these issues when exporting meshes from Blender. My solution was to manually create edge splits where I needed hard edges or use the edge split modifier if the whole mesh has hard edges.

Fortunately I am going for a faceted look anyway, so it was an easy solution.

Would be good to see this issue fixed in ZGE or even better swap out the 3ds support for obj :)
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Obj files in ZGE? ... awesome *.*