ZGameEditor.ini program close bug, prevents normal close function

Found a bug? Post information about it here so we can fix it!

Moderator: Moderators

OBV10U3_NINJA

ZGameEditor.ini program close bug, prevents normal close function

Post by OBV10U3_NINJA »

Hey, new here, I've been using ZGameEditor to try and make visualizers for the FL Studio plugin "ZGameEditor visualizer". However, every time I try to close the program, I get this, top window first and bottom one after I close the first one.

This has become quite irritating and the only way I can close the program is by shutting it down in task manager, which is incredibly risky considering that I often have 2 instances open to compare two projects, and I often close the wrong one.

I suggest tweaking the code a bit to add an option to turn off the write-to-ini or whatever it is. If my assumption is correct, it's probably just a file that saves settings or something. If that can be done, that would be highly appreciated.

I'm also noticing there is no file in the folder called ZGameEditor.ini, so would just putting a blank file there labeled that do the trick, or will that be a bad idea?

EDIT - I am using the 4.0 beta, should have mentioned that one.
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: ZGameEditor.ini program close bug, prevents normal close function

Post by VilleK »

Hi,

Indeed this is the settings file and ZGE tries to create it if it doesn't exist. Also it always saves current settings on exit.

The problem here I think is that ZGE does not have access rights to write to program files. Please configure Windows user file access rights on ZGameEditor folder to full access. Personally I never install ZGE in this folder, I have it somewhere else, like on the desktop or c:\Tools or similar.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

Another way to circumvent the problem is to run ZGameEditor as administrator. You can do this by right-clicking on ZGameEditor.exe ( or a shortcut to it ) and selecting "Run as administrator", or enabling that for the executable / shortcut by selecting "Properties" instead and then clicking on "Advanced" in Windows 10 or by going to the "Compatibility" tab in Windows 7.

Regardless, it would be nice if ZGameEditor just exited quietly without getting stuck in a loop of errors when it is unable to write the configuration file.

K
OBV10U3_NINJA

Post by OBV10U3_NINJA »

I can't find the setting to change file permissions, but running as administrator works just fine. Thanks!

Although, might still be a good idea to fix that error loop so it will still close after those messages, that way people don't have my problem.