Access Violation on Bitmap component

Found a bug? Post information about it here so we can fix it!

Moderator: Moderators

Lupo

Access Violation on Bitmap component

Post by Lupo »

Hi,

I have a new notebook and I cannot add/edit a bitmap component, because an access violation occurs. I now its has something to do with the Intel Opengl drivers.

I apreciate any fix/workaround.

Thanks in advance!!!

Specs:
Intel CoreDuo
2Mb Ram
windows 7 Pro

Mobile Intel 4 Series
GMA 4500MHD
128Mb
Drivers 8.15.10.2086 (20/02/2010).

Steps to reproduce the error:
Open ZGE.
New project
Select Content
Add a Bitmap Component.
Attachments
bmperr.jpg
bmperr.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 13236 times
Close, but not there yet.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I see in the log-window that the card supports shaders and 8 multitextures so it seems capable enough for a Intel-GPU.

1. If you open a zgeproj-file with textures (like zpong) does it work when you run it in the designer?

2. Is the error message the same when you click on a existing bitmap with bitmapproducers?
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Hi Ville,

Zpong runs perfectly on the designer! And every game with bitmaps/textures. It is only when you access the component at the designer.

The error is Access violation at address 1052F255 in module 'ig4icd43.dll'. Read at address 0000000. When I click over the bitmap component, the error appears and I can see the graph but not the preview.

It has something to do with the preview of the bitmap. And its seems its Intel opengl drivers.

I cannot choose the notebook, It was assigned to me. :(
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Sorry to bother you guys.

But I cannot develop since yesterday!!!

(I know I'm a ZGE addict :) )
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I'm not sure what's wrong here and I need to examine it more closely and upload debug version for you to test. Meanwhile I can think of a temporary workaround:

- After the error message has appeared, click the "Hide preview" check box to disable the preview window. That should get rid of the error message.
- To see the texture you are editing, click on a Model that use the texture and "Lock preview" to that component (Ctrl+L). Now you can still edit your bitmap and see realtime previews.
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Ok, I'll wait for the debug version.

I cannot click on the "hide preview" because the error window is blocking the focus and I cannot select the checkbox.

Thanks!
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Lupo,

What about the following workaround?

- Create Model
- Lock on Model
- Create Bitmap
- Create Material
- Add MaterialTexture to Material ( set to Bitmap )
- Add UseMaterial to OnRender of Model ( set to Material )
- Add RenderSprite to OnRender of Model

Then you should be able to edit the Bitmap ( and see the results ) without problems? Still s*cks though, hopefully the problem will be resolved soon ~

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Lupo wrote:I cannot click on the "hide preview" because the error window is blocking the focus and I cannot select the checkbox.
When you click OK on the error dialog you should be able to click the checkbox. Or is it constantly reappearing?

Do you get the same error message when creating a Mesh? There is a preview window there too.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

@Ville

It's probably a error generated in the preview / render loop, so as soon as you deal with the popup the error is generated again :( Perhaps it would be possible to automatically stop any active preview when such a error is thrown?

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

It's probably a error generated in the preview / render loop, so as soon as you deal with the popup the error is generated again.
Yeah, I know all about that.
"great expectations"
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

(thanks for the interest.)

Yep, exactly it loops forever.
Meshes work perfect!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I can't see why it works with a mesh and fails with a empty bitmap *scratches head*

Try this:

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip

It will probably still crash but you should be able to turn of preview with the check box after the first error message. Then switch it on again after a while to see if it always fails.
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Sorry the meshes preview is not working, I got confused, the Model preview is wokring and the application preview is working too.

I'm downloading this version and trying...
Lupo

Post by Lupo »

Well, I tried this version.

The error messages does not loop it just appears once per component. I can click the "Hide preview" checkbox. But when I clicked over another component the error appears, despite the checkbox is checked.

What is the difference between the mesh preview and the model preview? how they create the contexts ?

Thanks in advance
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

The preview window for bitmaps and the main preview window shares the OpenGL context but they have different Win32 handle and device context, so there is probably a glitch when the handle changes. I tried to rewrite the OpenGL panel component and simplify it to the bare essentials (the original code was a component I found on the web and had lots of features not needed for ZGE).

Another update today: http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip

Any difference?