Problems with hibernation

Found a bug? Post information about it here so we can fix it!

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Problems with hibernation

Post by Rado1 »

After wake up of my notebook from hibernation, already running ZGE does not display properties of elements selected in the project tree. After re-applying the style properties start to appear again.

The problem is that after reapplying the style the code editor uses wrong coloring of syntax highlighting; comments, keywords all in gray. This is a generic problem of applying styles when ZGE is running. Colors become correct after restart.

All these problems started to appear after adding skins to ZGE. I would very appreciate if ZGE is able to survive hibernation.

Observed on Win XP SP3, ZGE 2.0.1b (Feb 13, 2012).
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Strange, I have not been able to reproduce this. Hibernation works here. Am I understanding you correctly that applying a style twice always sets code editor colors to gray regardless of the hibernation problem?

Perhaps a screen shot would help here. And can anyone else see if they can reproduce this too?
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Whenever I apply style (just once and regardless of hibernation problem), the code editor syntax highlighting "turns to gray". Each next application of style keeps the gray syntax highlighting. Restarting of ZGE returns normal highlighting. See the attached screenshots.
Attachments
Left part - code editor before applying style, right part - after.
Left part - code editor before applying style, right part - after.
applying_style.jpg (176.58 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?

The reason comments / variable-types appear grey is because of your Windows theme.

However, when choosing a skin some elements* including the code editor don't get updated properly. Often only the background color changes, but text-colors and scroll-bars still use the default Windows styles.

*Perhaps something to do with the fact that they are created on the fly?

K
Attachments
Style.png
Style.png (18.72 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Regarding to hibernation, this usually happens when I hibernate my notebook working on built-in LCD and waking it up in dock with two dual monitors (probably also vice versa). The Lenovo Presentation director switches the display resolution during wake up.

I tried to reproduce the problem on my notebook without docking, and I observed that sometimes the problem occurs and sometimes not. I tried to switch the screen resolution, select different components, lock them, etc. before hibernation but I was not able to find any stable conditions leading always to problem occurence.

Anyway, here is a screenshot of ZGE after the problem happened.
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
no_properties.jpg (104.92 KiB) Viewed 9610 times
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Hi Kjell,

thanks for explanation. Anyway, it is strange that different colors are used when switching skin and when starting ZGE in the default Windows skin.

Any ideas how to change colors of comments / variable-types in Windows theme on XP? I could not find them in the Display Properties / Appearance / Advanced dialog.

BTW due to these skinning problems (syntax highlighting, scrollbars, icons) I use only the default windows look which is the best at the moment.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Another observation: Properties of selected components disappear also when changing Windows theme or just changing theme's color scheme while ZGE is running. To see the bug, after changing the theme/scheme just select some components in the Project tree - their properties are not displayed. This is a stable bug I can reproduce always on my XP.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I found out why the properties were disappearing so there will be a fix for that in next update.

Btw, "ToylandShooter"? Sounds interesting, please post more info when you feel ready for it :)
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

VilleK wrote:I found out why the properties were disappearing so there will be a fix for that in next update.
Great!
VilleK wrote:Btw, "ToylandShooter"? Sounds interesting, please post more info when you feel ready for it :)
Toyland Shooter will be my first game which uses ZGEBullet library. It will be something between Angry Birds and Kumoon placed in a simplified 3D world similar to Minecraft. Now I'm working on the game "technology" (generic components used to build the 3D world, levels loaded from files, behaviors of autonomous entities, etc.), polishing the game concepts, designing levels, etc. I plan to have the first draft in 1 - 2 months.

Once there's the basic technology I plan to have more games in the Toyland series later, e.g., Toyland Driver which will use the Bullet's raycast vehicle. Later, maybe multiplayer versions will come...

Of course when ready, I'll publish it in the ZGE forum.