Problems with implicit meshes

Found a bug? Post information about it here so we can fix it!

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Problems with implicit meshes

Post by Rado1 »

A lot of trials to edit MeshImplicit component end up in long updating of implicit geometry and consequent out of memory message. After adding some components also the log window get crazy with never ending updating of implicit geometry.

Of course, this is not a surprise because MeshImplicit is still an experimental feature. My question is: when it is planned to provide more stable implicit geometry in ZGE?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I thought implicit geometry had lots of promise but in the end it turned out quite disappointing because it is too hard to model something useful and the resulting geometry is a messy "triangle soup". If I spend more time on this I would rewrite the part that generates triangles so that it creates well-behaved geometry with a minimal of polygons. Also it would be great with some kind of modeler support. Perhaps there is a 3rd-party modeler for implicit models that could be used.

To be honest I'm considering the implicit mesh geometry in ZGE to be a bit of a dead end. But I'm open for suggestions.

The never-ending log messages is probably because you have functions that generate an empty mesh so it tries to update every frame in preview window, 30 times a second.