Beta release 3.1b

Information and change log about the latest ZGameEditor release.

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Setting font size in expression editor is something I really appreciate. Thanks Ville.
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Changing the Style (simply through the "Style" menu) a few times in a row can lead to a crash that can only be exited through Task Manager violence. Pic here.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Changing the style throws me the exception:

'TFormStyleHookFix' is already registered for 'TEditorForm'

The style is not changed after closing the error message. If the original style is Windows, the style switching works fine.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

This was because I've upgraded the project to Delphi XE5 and a bugfix for styles with Delphi XE2 was no longer needed (and instead triggered another problem). Thanks for reporting.

Fixed now: http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
rrTea

Post by rrTea »

Just wanted to confirm the new version doesn't crash when changing styles. Other glitches and crashes (at least the ones appearing on my computer) also seem to be sorted out in the newest build. Thanks!
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

- Android SDK version of projects now supports 2.2 and 4.1. This can be selected in a combobox in the APK build dialog.
- Fixed problem with "Android: Run project" not working on 4.2+ devices.

http://www.zgameeditor.org/files/ZGameEditor_beta.zip
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

This is it! Thanks Ville for this update. Some comments:

- Maybe including Android gamepad library would help to use gamepads on Android 4.1. It is included in the OUYA gamepad example.

- Would not it be possible to make options for AndroidSdk configurable? E.g., in some ini file? For instance, I'm working on extension for OUYA In-App Purchasing in the way that a new java file will be added to src, some additional jar file and a new native library is included to libs. Also AndroidManifest.xml can (should bu OUYA doc) contain some more info for OUYA. It would be convenient to prepare a new Template subdir for that. But this idea is of lower priority, because users can always copy the necessary files to the generated Android folder structure for particular projects.

- Did you remove upx intentionally?
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Upx went missing for some reason, thanks for noticing. I now added the latest 3.91 version and also made a small bug fix.

VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Updated today again because there was a problem with the Android player file that Rado1 discovered:

Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

The current beta throws the "Invalid floating point operation." exception when trying to run an application with external library in ZGE's preview panel (Alt+Enter). Tested on examples with BASS library, SunVox, ZGEBullet, and ZGEBox2D. Try to reproduce this bug by running the ModPlay example from ZGE distribution or any of my physics or SunVox demos.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Rado1 wrote:The current beta throws the "Invalid floating point operation." exception when trying to run an application with external library in ZGE's preview panel (Alt+Enter).
Now fixed. It was some testing code I forgot to remove.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Update:

- Fixed a bug with autocompletion.
- Added "Model" property to RemoveModel component specifying which model to remove. If the Model property is kept blank then the currently active model is removed (like before). This also means you can add RemoveModel components anywhere in the project tree (previously they were only allowed in Model sub-trees).
- ZgeOuya external library updated to version v0.91.
- this.X/Y coordinates in bitmapexpression now go from 0 to 1 inclusive (previously they stopped just before 1). The reason for changing this is that a bitmapexpression on a bitmap with width 256 and "this.R=this.X" should produce a perfect red gradient and previously that wasn't the case.
- Bitmap preview renders with alpha against gray background. So now you can see where the bitmap is transparent.

We should end this beta soon and make 3.1 the official new release.

Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

Thanks for the features & fixes :-)

Any chance you'll have time to look at the vector assignments ( referring to this ) before the 3.1 release? Would be nice if you could at least do the following.

Code: Select all

vec3 foo = vector3(0,0,0); // This works ( obviously )

App.LightPosition = foo; // But this doesn't
K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Update:

- "vec3 foo; App.LightPosition = foo;" syntax supported.
- Fixed a serious bug where Variable components of vec2/3/4 types could crash or contain incorrect values if they were declared in a Model and the Model was spawned as a clone. Thanks to Kjell for finding it.

VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Update:

- MIDI music playback fixed for all platforms. Previously timing was bad, particularly on Android.

- Model inheritance

I've been trying varies ways to solve the problems of having to reinvent variable names for every model, discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=6829#6829.

I've now implemented a basic model inheritance system.

New property Mode.BaseModel.

Set this to a base model. When a model has a base, it will inherit everything from the base.

This includes property values. For instance, the base model has CollisionBounds set. If you want the child model to use the same bounds, just leave it at default in the child model. Else set another bounds in the child and this will override.

It also includes property lists. So if you have items in OnRender in a base model it will execute before the items in OnRender in a child model. This could be used for things such as drawing a box around the model: the box rendering components can be in the base model and the rest be rendered in the child (because every child model has different graphics but the box should look the same).

Most importantly: you can have Variables that all models should share defined at one place. So if you have a set of different enemies that can be destroyed awarding the player points, then you can have a "Points" variable in the base class and let all enemy models inherit this.

You can inherit in several levels:

EnemyBase (variables: Points, Color)
- WalkingEnemyBase (variables: nrOfLegs)
----TigerEnemy
----RatEnemy
- FlyingEnemyBase (variables: maxAltitude)
----AirplaneEnemy
----AlienUfoEnemy

So in the example above TigerEnemy has the BaseModel property set to WalkingEnemyBase. And WalkingEnemyBase has EnemyBase as BaseModel. "Variables:" show example suggestions of variables that child models will share.

Important: In order to make variables work over child/base boundaries, they must be defined in Model.Definitions list. Else you will get error message in designer and undefined behavior at runtime.

This is all experimental so let me know if you encounter any problems!