Techniques for improved font rendering?

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

VilleK
Site Admin

Techniques for improved font rendering?

Post by VilleK »

I read this thread on stackoverflow and it provides an interesting discussion on how to render nice fonts in OpenGL:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5262 ... ersion-4-1

It mentions this paper which describes a technique of rendering fonts using a signed distance field with superb results:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publicatio ... cation.pdf

And there is a tool that helps creates distance fields textures for fonts:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/491938-sig ... font-tool/

Anyone up for attempting this in ZGE? :)
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

Not quite sure how they prevent the false curved contours ( without the use of shaders ). It looks quite janky when I try it ( 128x128 distance field with aliased rendering ).

K
Attachments
02.png
02.png (20.64 KiB) Viewed 14156 times
01.png
01.png (16.02 KiB) Viewed 14157 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:)

Never mind, guess it really depends on the resolution of the original source how well the scaling performs ( makes sense ). Screenshots use a 128x128 distance field again, but this time with anti-aliasing.

I'll try the double distance field to preserve sharp edges trick some other time.

K
Attachments
02.png
02.png (23.05 KiB) Viewed 14154 times
01.png
01.png (22.37 KiB) Viewed 14155 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Looks awesome Kjell :)

I'm impressed with how quick you got that working.

It would be great if you can provide a working example. We could use this for improved text rendering in ZgeViz and it could be included as a sample project in the standard ZGE distribution too.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Sure,

There's not a whole lot to it ( for the aliased shaderless effect ). Most of the work is being done by the distance field generator ( which basically "abuses" bilinear filtering ).

K
Attachments
Outrun.zgeproj
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

For those looking at Kjells example, notice how low resolution that bitmap really is by setting Bitmap.Filter to Nearest.

Even though I've read the paper and examined your implementation I still don't understand why this is working. When the texture is rendered the alpha values through bilinear filtering extrapolates towards the higher resolution image that is the source of the alpha?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

@Ville

Bilinear filtering uses the nearest pixels to determine the interpolated value, so if you calculate / abuse those nearest values to give you the desired value ( stroke angle / gradient determined by analyzing the high resolution source ) as a result of this calculation, you get the results that you're getting* It's quite clever :)

*Classic case of knowing the desired result + knowing the calculation .. just need to feed it the correct input.

K
jph_wacheski

Cool!

Post by jph_wacheski »

Yes, this is rather interesting,. it is a strange method to work with, but the results are looking quite good.

Some searching points to using the Distance Fields for mesh generation.., could also be interesting to try that.

I will see if I can get a grip on using this method for text rendering,. as well it could be useful as an interesting rendering method for sprite based game setups..,
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:!:

Very neat technique that produces accurate distance fields at much lower resolutions using anti-aliased input ( instead of binary ).

http://webstaff.itn.liu.se/~stegu/aadis ... eprint.pdf

Still wouldn't recommend generating them in real-time, but it does speed up the process quite a bit ( when using a significantly smaller image ).

K
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Hi Kjell, because I want to produce some nice looking fonts and other textures for my projects, I returned to this interesting topic with a couple of questions: How did you produce the final bitmap for your Outrun.zgeproj demo? What tools and settings you used? I think SDFont supports just square png images, what's the best way to produce non-square images, are there some pitfalls? Tanks in advance for sharing your know-how.

In my trial produced a distance map from hi-res font bitmap, downscaling it to 25% of original size and replaced RGB with 255; alpha channel remained the same as in distance map. Problem was that after importing the png file to ZGE, pixels were not white, but there was applied some automatic antialiasing... so I was not able to reproduce your result without usage BitmapExpression for "post-processing".

P.S. I maybe could read the papers and try to reproduce your result by myself, but I think it is more effective to learn from somebody with know-how and experience like you.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Rado1,
Rado1 wrote:How did you produce the final bitmap for your Outrun.zgeproj demo? What tools and settings you used?
I actually used Photoshop, which works well enough for 1D distance fields ( 2D is a little tricky though ). You can find the required steps here.

In case you have any further questions, let me know.

K
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Thanks Kjell. However, I have the final question: how did you achieve that importing a png file to ZGE did not change RGB colors of pixels according to Alpha? See the attached project and bitmap I used. BTW if you enable disabled BitmapExpression the result is correct; but I would like to avoid it.
Attachments
demo.zip
demo project and bitmap with distance field
(55.67 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
imported bitmap - original RGB values (255,255,255) were replaced by values from apha channel by ZGE
imported bitmap - original RGB values (255,255,255) were replaced by values from apha channel by ZGE
scr1.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 11408 times
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi Rado1,
Rado1 wrote:How did you achieve that importing a png file to ZGE did not change RGB colors of pixels according to Alpha?
Import as 32-bit BMP instead. By default PNG uses premultiplied color channels, which is not what you want.

K
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Kjell wrote:Import as 32-bit BMP instead. By default PNG uses premultiplied color channels, which is not what you want.
This is the trick I wanted, thanks Kjell!
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Kjell, do you have any idea how to make it working also on Android? The current version fails with "failed to load: opengl32". I think glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST) is not supported. If possible, I would like to avoid shaders and build application in Compatible GLBase.