IDE "filtering" options

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

rrTea

IDE "filtering" options

Post by rrTea »

I like that the console is constantly reporting the number of models and other details, but sometimes I'd find it very practical to filter out the default messages and just see the ones from "trace"ing. This is because sometimes the default messages push custom messages out etc. Maybe there could be just a small button in the upper right corner that toggles default messages on/off, something simple like that.

One other filter that would be really useful (but this is probably super hard to do) is in the Project Tree. When opening old projects sometimes it's hard to remember where a particular Variable was used for example and digging through the xml can be a bit impractical, so if there were a filter field on top of the Project Tree where one could drop say a name of the variable and then ZGE would highlight (or something) all the components that use it... Same with finding where a component is used. I usually use the trick of giving a component a wrong name and then attempting to run the project (so the IDE throws me to a ZExpression referencing it) but that is a bit hacky (and calling for trouble :D ).

Anyway just an idea, not sure anybody else other than me needs such gadgets...

Edit: I didn't know this at the time of writing the original post but Game Maker has this feature (added relatively recently I guess). Here is what it looks like:
剪贴板图片.png
剪贴板图片.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 12786 times
Personally I prefer how this feature is implemented in some other programs, for example the Preferences window in Directory Opus has it implemented really well but this one looks good too.
Last edited by rrTea on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imerion

Re: IDE "filtering" options

Post by Imerion »

One other filter that would be really useful (but this is probably super hard to do) is on the Project Tree. When opening old projects sometimes it's hard to remember where a particular Variable was used for example and digging through the xml can be a bit impractical, so if there were a filter field on top of the Project Tree where one could drop say a name of the variable and then ZGE would highlight (or something) all the components that use it... Same with finding where a component is used. I usually use the trick of giving a component a wrong name and then attempting to run the project (so the IDE throws me to a ZExpression referencing it) but that is a bit hacky (and calling for trouble :D ).
This I could have had use for several times, would be nice if possible! I understand if it isn't though. :)
Rado1

Re: IDE "filtering" options

Post by Rado1 »

Both, filtering in the Log view (either simple as suggested by rrTea or based on regular expression) and searching for definition and usage of named components and variables of in project would be helpful.