Setting UI font size

If there is something important you think is missing in the current version of ZGameEditor then you can post a feature request here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rado1

Setting UI font size

Post by Rado1 »

As getting older and my eyes are not working as some years ago, I would really appreciate the possibility to set (in my case to increase) the font size applied for Project tree, Properties, Log, and various dialogs.

Now, my Windows use larger fonts and they are used also in menu of ZGE, this is fine. One important criterion for all tools I use is the possibility to customize UI font size... therefore I like Blender, Godot, Superpowers or VS Code ... and hate e.g. Unity. ZGE is somewhere in the middle with the possibility to set font size of code editor. But I would like to have it even better...
ThanX.
VilleK
Site Admin

Re: Setting UI font size

Post by VilleK »

I agree this would be good. Are you using Windows 10? In general scaling works better there than in previous Windows versions. I run ZGE on laptop with 4k resolution on a 17" display, Windows scaling set to 250%.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

I'm using Windows 10, but still having troubles with setting general scaling factor. Instead, I'm using Advanced System Font Changer utility to set just font sizes, without unpleasant influencing the taskbar icon sizes, etc.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Hi, please try latest beta with that allows 125% scaling setting.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Ville, this is great! However, I would appreciate even larger fonts (e.g. 150%, 175% and maybe also 200%). Another improvement would be to use antialiasing for dialog fonts; this would increase readability even more.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Updated again with up to 200% scaling and trying to fix font issues. If scaling becomes wrong (and panels disappear), revert to default by deleting ZGameEditor.ini file.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Thanks Ville. That's exactly what I wanted. Antialiased fonts look really great.

One small problem is with size of Start and Stop buttons in app preview, and the log and code error fonts are too big comparing to the fonts in UI. See the screensoht:
scr1.png
scr1.png (29.04 KiB) Viewed 35824 times
Also Bitmap and Mesh previews display too big Detach button. In these previews, labels in panels use original font size. I think they should be enlarged as well for bigger zoom.

Model preview has also some layout issues:
scr2.png
scr2.png (26.37 KiB) Viewed 35824 times
Some properties use fonts of pre-defined size; example shows properties of RenderText in scaling 150%:
scr3.png
scr3.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 35754 times
Sound editor uses original fonts as well. But here I realize that using variable font size would require more advanced/dynamic form layout.

Also the component list in the "Select component to add" and content assistant's list should use the selected font size.
Rado1

Post by Rado1 »

Another issue: if ZGE uses UI scaling bigger than 100%, and its window is maximized, closed and then opened again, it's window size is larger than screen size (some part of the window overflows). Pressing the maximize button again maximizes the window correctly. But again, re-opening ZGE corrupts it.
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I've noticed this too, it is annoying. I will fix it.