Jenn3d - for visualizing Coxeter polytopes

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Jenn3d - for visualizing Coxeter polytopes

Post by jph_wacheski »

Here is a very cool little app. it genrates and renders interesting figures,.
"Cayley graphs of finite Coxeter groups on four generators" is say,. if that tells you anything,.

http://www.math.cmu.edu/~fho/jenn/index.html

I have been familiar with the Hypercube for some years now,. after reading Rudy Ruckers [ http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/faculty/rucker/ ] book The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes, the summer i hitchhiked to B.C. and Alaska,. and a Hypercube is but a subset of the figures this thing displays,. anyway it is very cool,.

I can see building a game in this type of higher dimentional world,. I really like the transfomings and movements,. plus he has some nifty trails and motion blur happening., the source is there and the tool is fun just to play with,. hopefullly I will find the time to look more deeply into designing a game in this higher dimentional realm, as it is quite compelling to me. peace
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

that stuff is nice but is out of my limited math domain :D

Yeah 4-and-more dimentional spaces are somewhat a mind-bending concepts... :D
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

ha,. yes it is some funky stuff,. . I assume it is some relatively simple transforms that once you 'get it' aint that difficult to work with,. at least that is how most of this math based stuff has turned out so far,. . or we could get someone to work out a black box function to move stuff through,. . (just keep those black helicopters from circleing over my house,. (joke) )
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

Actually yesterday I might have been wrong... I started thinking about this (I'm just too curious about new stuff!!) and maybe it's somewhat simple to do something with that... since we already got some 4D-matrix manipulation tools in ZGE engine :D (Yeah Ville I know that hypercube manipulation was not the way they were intended to be used for!) so I might be able to create some fun stuff with that ;) But we will start thinking about it let's say after we get the basic stuff working properly :P IE we do need still about 2 or 3 texture primitives (one will be single-pixel noise and I'll work on it) then move on with the stacking gui and some other stuff...
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yeah like i said something I would LIKE to look into eventualy,. . time willing,. as it is so interesting.

but hay, what do you mean by "single-pixel noise"??
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I intend the effect called "Pixels" in TG!
The other two (maddening) components will instead be "light" and "distort", even if I already have some ideas for them... Size is the limit here however!
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Pixels seems like a simple one,. not sure what you are trying to get it to do but this looks rather like the TG version;

Code: Select all

float seed=8;
if ( noise3(x*88,y*88,seed) >.2 ) this.pixel=rnd(); else this.pixel=0;
cutn'past component;

Code: Select all

ZZDC<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<Bitmap Name="b_pixels" Filter="1">
  <Producers>
    <BitmapExpression>
      <Expression>
<![CDATA[float seed=8;
if ( noise3(x*88,y*88,seed) >.2 ) this.pixel=rnd(); else this.pixel=0;]]>
      </Expression>
    </BitmapExpression>
  </Producers>
</Bitmap>
Distort though is something I would really like to see! I am not sure how to 'move' a pixel in an expression,. but that is all the function is I think,. pixels A is offset by the value of pixel B,. . hope you figure this one out so I can use it :P back to the vectors,. . . almost there!
iterationGAMES.com