O3D

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

O3D

Post by Kjell »

8)

O3D is an open-source web API for creating rich, interactive 3D applications in the browser ( or standalone using Google Gears ).

http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/

Samples including source code ( just view the html page source ) here.

K
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

BLEARGH!
This is for javascript ^^
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
jph_wacheski

interesting

Post by jph_wacheski »

jup,. that does look somewhat interesting,. however, I did not get past the corpo-speak of the license to d/l the plugin,. I just don't have the patients (not so vertuous is seems,.) to read all that crap,. and therfore will be unlikely to bother working with that system,. also I have no intereste in runing anything in a browser,. I like my games to dominate the system!

I am curious though Kj, how large a d/l is the plug??

I had just read this article in defence of javascript,. .

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/04/four-my ... avascript/

for interest.
iterationGAMES.com
kattle87

Post by kattle87 »

I was just joking about the Javascript!
Too bad that we will probably will never able to convert/recode ZGE in order to make it O3D-compliant. We still need to catch with the mainstream and that would have been an amazing opportunity... :(
In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection.
-=Hugo Rossi=-
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi guys,

The O3D plugin installer is 534KB ( not sure if it pulls any additional data from the web, but I doubt it ).

Javascript is slow compared to anything compiled, and since O3D seems to handle input through JS, it's probably not particularly suited for high-paced games. They do have Z-Sorting, Culling, Raycast, Skin, Animation Curves, Proportional Fonts, Quaternions, Render Targets / Passes and a COLLADA importer though :roll:

+ The terms of service just says "don't sue us, it's not our fault" and "don't re-sell d3dx9_36.dll". But if you don't want to agree you can just download the sources and compile the plugin yourself :wink:

K