OpenGL-based 3D model editor

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

y offs et

OpenGL-based 3D model editor

Post by y offs et »

I went looking for something like this. The pickings seemed pretty thin. Has anyone else looked at this?

http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/main.html
"great expectations"
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

There's no good reason to look for a 3D package that is OpenGL powered specifically. The only thing that could change that in the future is when you would be able to export GLSL ( by some format other then .3ds ) directly to ZGE. But since that is not the case, you can go for Direct3D or software powered programs just as easily.

One of the things I would look at is whether or not a program can export to the .3ds format. Misfit Model 3D apparently can not :(

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

OK - here's a blast from the past that fits that criteria.

http://downloads.kingpinforever.com/mod ... .info.html
"great expectations"
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Here's another point on the topic. No one has mentioned .xml animations. Could they be useful?
"great expectations"
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?

Not really. ZGE doesn't support animations* as they are used / created in 3D Modelling / Animation software ( yet ). Even if you'd manage to copy-paste the animation data from a xml file into a zgeproj ( using Arrays ), you'll still need to write all the expressions that reconstruct the animation curves and playback the data yourself.

*The two already existing Components with "Animator" in their name should have been called "Interpolator" in my opinion.

K
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

So I've found another reason to look at SoftImage XSI again. Tossed my corrupted install and re-installed.

I recall the last time (2 years ago when I was hot on NeoAxis) there was an absolute boatload of tutorials online, that I barely scratched.

It would be much appreciated if the local XSI pros would point me at some of the more informative ones.
"great expectations"
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi,

Are you using "Mod Tool" or a "Full" version of Softimage? Their interfaces are a bit different from each other. Although you can switch the interface of "Mod Tool" to the "Full" Softimage Layout ( but not the other way around ).

The First Contact Video Tutorials on the Softimage Community seem to be a good place to start, Noesis Interactive and Digital Tutors do good video tutorials on more advanced topics, and there's always Google and YouTube of course. But don't underestimate the build-in Help that comes with Softimage .. it's excellent.

Keep in mind though that Softimage can't export to .3ds

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Hay, y offs et. Misfit Model itself is not bad at all,. it is a fairly simple tool, but nicely done, multiplatform, opensource, and free! I do like simple programs that are easy to learn and quickly used for simple tasks. Thanks for pointing it out,. may come in handy.
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Kjell - thanks for the Noesis Interactive and Digital Tutors. They're exactly what I was looking for. .3ds - yeah, I know - I am interested because of the Collada export - hopefully ZGE will enable it someday, but I'm poking around elsewhere some, today anyway.

JPH - Hey hoser, yer welcome. Incidently, the old Quake2 modeller might come in handy some day too. Should grab it before it disappears.
"great expectations"