The Polynomial - (and some Pascal source code -Voxel World)

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

The Polynomial - (and some Pascal source code -Voxel World)

Post by jph_wacheski »

A must play demo is avalible here;

http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/games/inde ... m=mainsite

its a 3d space dogfighter games build on a procedural star patterns and with some super fine graphic effects!

also there is some pascal source code and some related linkes avalible on his site if anyone is interesed in having a looksee,. .

* Volumetric clouds/fog(no self shading,but clouds are shaded by hills)
* Clouds are animated
* Built-in fractal terrain generator
* Map loader that can read almost any raw format.
* Procedural texturing.
Textures does not have unlimited details because of speed limitation,but are much bigger than can be stored in RAM.Texturing method are simple but i haven't seen it in other software
* Superscalability.
Renderer can be executed in parralel on many processors.

http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/voxelworld/downloads.html
http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/links.html

as well there is an explination of his solution to the 6dof rotational issues described here;

http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/texts/how_ ... nions.html

(as I still have dreams of a 3d flying game)
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

8)

Polynomial runs like a dream .. although GPU-powered ( static ) Point Clouds are blazing fast in general. Nice post-processing too .. ZGE certainly could use FBO's ( + Attribute Shader Variables ) :roll:

His Volumetrics renderer looks more impressive then "Voxel World" in my opinion .. probably less real-time though.

Nice find ~
K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

That game was too demanding to my tired 3 year old PC. It is time for me to upgrade sometime after the summer. I need a new computer that can play the upcoming Gridrunner+++ from Llamasoft anyway :)

I noticed that the GLSL-source code for the shaders in the game was included with the binary distribution if anyone wants some insight how the effects are made in Polynomial.

The thing Kjell write about Attribute Shader Variable gets me thinking... maybe it can be defined to be attached to a DefineArray so that the vertex-shader can read a value for each vertex from the array. What do you think? Maybe I'll give it a try.
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hej Ville,

Why not just add a "Type" Uniform / Attribute drop-down property to ShaderVariable like in the "normal" DefineVariable Component? This does limit the variable type to float at this point .. but attributes are mostly used for simple iterating / caching anyway.

K
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

I thought "attribute" variable were per-vertex data so that you can supply additional info to the vertex shader? That is the impression I get when looking in the GLSL-reference. Can you give an example on how it is used?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Yes yes,

You're right, that's a pretty accurate description. But since they are set outside glBegin / glEnd just like Uniform variables, I had to think of the ShaderVariable component.

Anyway, not exactly high priority either ( I'd trade in attributes for FBO's any given day :wink: )

On a sidenote .. a useful "hack" -> When you perform multiple render passes using the same material / shader, ZGE apparently keeps this all within the same glBegin / glEnd loop, meaning that any variations in uniform shader variables aren't passed on to the shader itself. However, you can easily overcome this by just adding a UseMaterial component referring to another Material at the end of each pass.

K