Sculptris - dynamic mesh tesselation 3d modeler

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

jph_wacheski

Sculptris - dynamic mesh tesselation 3d modeler

Post by jph_wacheski »

Look here;

http://drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

A rather niffty tool from Dr.Petter., fun to model organic 3d meshes,. I would like to see some system for doing similar dynamic mesh tesselation in the ZGE,. perhaps the Dr. will release some info/code at some point..,
iterationGAMES.com
jph_wacheski

Sculptris 1.0 Released!

Post by jph_wacheski »

Sculptris 1.0 Released!

http://www.sculptris.com/

Now with mesh painting for texture creation,. I just need to figure out how to get the texture out when done,. and then see if there is a simple way to get them into ZGE. (they export as obj,. so going throught wings3d) Expect to see new games featuring nice organic models,. . as soon as I figure out where the texture file is saved :S lol.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:)

Click on the "Show advanced tools" checkbox ~

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yup, i found it,. working well too.
iterationGAMES.com
jph_wacheski

6k skull,. .

Post by jph_wacheski »

a little test., the skull I sculpted is 6000 polys,. there are 240 of them shown here. Fun!
Attachments
skull_test3.zip
.exe test,.
(72.84 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Well, it took about 15 sec. to load, but eventually I got spiraling green skulls. You'll need a pre-loader - I almost gave up on it.
"great expectations"
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Works fine here, frame rate 60 and starts in 2 seconds. Did you use Upx with Lzma-compression? I read that it is really slow to decompress on some machines.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

I don't think it is compresion the skull is only 48k! I think it was just a slow procedural bitmap,. i was trying to get the chrome shader to look more smooth, I think I had set the rez. too high,. was not slow here, so i hadnt noticed. Try the attached, it has no bitmaps.

I really like the ease of modeling with sculptris and am running some tests to work out a good tool flow with ZGE. Can anyone duplicate the type of shader sculptris uses and post it here? where you can just use those neato ball bitmaps and get that type of shading? I will look into it eventually but I am working on a few other things currently.
Attachments
skull_test4.zip
.exe test 2
(72.56 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

same - about 12 sec.
got wall multi-skulls + master
do they rotate smooth for you? a bit jerky.
one processor about 60%
other about 40%
"great expectations"
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Really? ok, here it is with only 25 skulls, this could help your render speed,. I can get 60fps with 500 skulls perhaps my vidcard is better than I thought. wundering what a reasonable number of polys is for a midgrade card?? also added the load oprions so try windowed/not etc.

also the loading thing is troubleing,. so this also has no compression.

please test.
cheers!
Attachments
skull_test5.zip
.exe no compress. 25xskull.
(77.96 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
Last edited by jph_wacheski on Sat May 29, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iterationGAMES.com
VilleK
Site Admin

Post by VilleK »

Both skull demos work great here with 60 fps and no startup. Maybe it's your antivirus software having a fit against upx-compression in general, yoffset?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hmm,

Perhaps his GPU doesn't support VBO's .. in which case it probably kicks back to software mode.

And the "thing" you do in Sculptris is called sculpting .. not modeling.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

ah,. could be that.

Kj- sculpting vs modeling; what do you see as the difference between the two ? Sculptris lacks hard edges but other than that, it seems one can create any shape using it,. for a free tool it kicks some serious butt,. right up there with ZGE IMHO. and the thing that really appeals to me is the 3d painting that lets me get textured meshes into ZGE. (without having to pay for max/maya/etc. I would love to be able to support tool makers but at thousands of $ its a tad over my head.)
Attachments
skull_test7.zip
.exe mouse to shift,. hold LMB to fall,. . . ..
(86.72 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
iterationGAMES.com
y offs et

Post by y offs et »

Perhaps his GPU doesn't support VBO's .. in which case it probably kicks back to software mode.
I kinda favor this explanation.

On skull_test7 it works after the initial wait.
Funny thing, the first time I had the background turning clockwise constantly. All next 3 times it swings back and forth and the skull slowly turns count-clockwise. The last try the background went counter-clockwise rather quickly.

I've heard of something called multi-core errors that are maddening, in that they are non-repeating. I think that is what this is, and could be the source of some other problems in the past.

Thing is, every new computer has multi-core processors, so this isn't going to go away.
"great expectations"
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hey jph,

The difference between sculpting and modeling? It's just a different technique suited for different purposes. Anyway, Sculptris is a great alternative to sculpting tools like Mudbox and ZBrush. Applications like Maya and Softimage are / do something else ..

K