3DVIA Studio

Any topic not related to ZGE.

Moderator: Moderators

Kjell

3DVIA Studio

Post by Kjell »

:)

Finally available for everybody .. 3DVIA Studio ( successor to Virtools, previously known as MP ).

+ Development blog of Billions, the first ( open-source ) game made in 3DVIA Studio.

K
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

This does look interesting, however, a bit of a learning curve to really get into the tool. (usualy a good thing, more power in the end) There is however a load of corporatese licence noise to get through just to install the plugin!,. as well as when signing up for the site to get the free tool. (that stuff always makes me suspicious ;) ) but after all that the biggest problem I have with this is the publishing setup,. you can only build web plugin stuff and it has to be published on their site?!?! Plus side; they host it, negative side; how to sell it / who owns it?? Perhaps they will provide paths to deploy on other platforms, beyond the web stuff, for additional licening fees in the future?

I just played the Billions demo, and the look is amazing, (gameplay is meh) with all the depth of field and nice shaders, that does make the system look very powerfull,. However it did crash my firefox when I tried to pause,. perhaps I will test out some stuff with it and see how it goes,. thanks for posting the links and info.
iterationGAMES.com
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

:?

Yea .. if there's one thing they are bad at, it is being straight about licensing details. The prices of Nemo / Virtools / MP ( Studio ) have never been public, and thus-far it doesn't look like it will be any different this time.

Their publish to 3DVIA-only scheme only goes for the free version ( which is a ridiculous limitation, even for a for a free version ) and might change still ... haven't seen much information on publishing to PC / Mac / 360 / PS3 / Web with the Pro version yet ( apart from those platforms being mentioned on the old MP site ).

Still works nicely for rapid prototyping though :)

K
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

8)

Short ( 3 min ) promotional video explaining how 3DVIA Studio differs from "regular" game development environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bnynse1WOw

K