Metal Material, Mirrors

All topics about ZGameEditor goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

milen_zge

Metal Material, Mirrors

Post by milen_zge »

Because I am new in 3d rendering, I have some additional questions for specific effects:

1. What parameters (Colors etc.) of the Material must be set that the object to look like made from metal - shining (from the Light-s) etc.

2. I do not find "mirror" settings or object. The way to simulate it is to draw a clone for my objects with changed settings (colors mostly) to look like reflection, isn't it?
Kjell

Re: Metal Material, Mirrors

Post by Kjell »

Hi,
milen_zge wrote:What parameters (Colors etc.) of the Material must be set that the object to look like made from metal - shining (from the Light-s) etc.
The shininess property :wink: I've attached a simple example ( that doesn't use shaders ). Obviously to get a better metal effect you want to use a reflection map.
milen_zge wrote:I do not find "mirror" settings or object. The way to simulate it is to draw a clone for my objects with changed settings (colors mostly) to look like reflection, isn't it?
Yes this is possible. Do you by any chance want a reflective floor?

K
Attachments
Metal.zgeproj
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
milen_zge

Post by milen_zge »

Your example works very good, it was simple, but I tried with very sharp SpecularColor and wasn't achieve this effect.

Thank, you!

What is the "reflection map" and how can I make in ZGE?
I want Mirror effect to simulate exactly the metal surface - with reflections of the near objects to the metal body. Do this solves by this reflection map nameli?
Kjell

Post by Kjell »

Hi,
milen_zge wrote:I want Mirror effect to simulate exactly the metal surface - with reflections of the near objects to the metal body. Do this solves by this reflection map nameli?
Precise real-time reflection is extremely processor intensive. Current generation games usually render a cube-map of the non-immediate environment and use that to simulate reflection. For example, take a close look at this video of GTA IV with the iCEnhancer mod ... the reflection doesn't include any objects in close proximity such as cars / people / lanterns etc.

Can you explain what kind of scene you're trying to create? That way it will be easier to recommend a specific technique.

K
milen_zge

Post by milen_zge »

Thanks,

I now understand what are these "reflection maps".

Now I only try different "technologies" to learn "all" software possibilities and after that I will make some my ideas.